Back from the zoo....

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by dgcrane, Jul 1, 2008.

1. I took my pretty new 300mm vr out for a test spin at the Toronto zoo today (along with my 2 girls under three, so not too much shooting going on....). The only thing I can say is its frickin sweet . I was very happy to have the replacement RRS foot on since it makes a nice easy grip handle.

[​IMG]

(not bad for having a kid in a backpack on :biggrin:)

Darren C
    dgcrane

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2008
  2. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    nice shot
    the 300 vr is an awesome lens
    I also handhold it w/ the rrs foot as a grip (from a moving boat shooting Ospreys)

3. Hey Darren,

Nice shot ... nice lens :biggrin: I'm still holding out for one of those 300mms!

We did the TO zoo a couple of years ago with our girls. Had a great time but that one hill coming up from the bear exhibit was brutal. One kid on my back coupled with the heat and I was spent.

Take care,
    Brent

4. PAReams

PAReams

Apr 4, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Nice shot. The tiger really seems to have a lot of personality in your pic. I love the chops :)

5. This is a general question for all of you wildlife/animal people. Doesn't it get frustrating using a fixed length for taking these kind of pictures? Do you always end up cropping or just missing the picture because they are too close? Personally I would much prefer a zoom lens so I can properly frame my shots, maybe I am missing something?

6. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Gosh, that's a terrific shot! Congrats on your new lens :biggrin:

7. Nice one, Darren!! :smile:
    I'll take turns bringing a zoom/prime to the zoo. There's something special about
    a headshot from a fast prime over a similar shot using the zoom. It's more foot work
    but it's a challenge that will help you when shooting people candids. I also prefer the
    faster AF primes afford. The zooms are more flexible, no doubt...but I'll take the
    prime IQ any day. :biggrin:
    P.S. if ya held a gun to my head I'd tell you my favorite zoo kit is the 1DmkII 35-350L....shhhhh!)

8. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    you aren't missing a thing
    my fav zoo lens is def the nikon 80-400vr
    I own the 300 2.8 afs vr and the 80-400 at f7.1 will give the 300vr a run for it's money

d300 + 80-400 @ 400 f5.6 (wide open and full zoom)
    VR on
    iso1000
    [​IMG]

9. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to comment. I honestly don't know why I enjoy the primes more... I guess its because of what they give me compared to zooms. There are some that I find, just magical.. like the 85mm f1.4, 200mm f4 micro, and now this 300mm VR. I find it a little more challenging as Will mentioned but I find the boundaries quickly and will crop if needed to enhance the photo. The (uncropped) photo taken would have been better if I had of included the whole front paw, but oh well.....

Darren

10. Great shots of your Lions....I'm saving up for a 300mm VR....can't wait to get a hold of that too.....:tongue:
    sal

11. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    I have lens lust like everyone else, but I still love my zooms. Besides, magic comes from Photoshop.

2619200825_aacd419816_b.png

12. If you mean it comes from photoshop and not the lenses, I am not sure I agree with that, but whatever works for you :smile:

Darren C

13. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    I have some wonderful lenses and some crappy lenses. Some have great clarity, color, sharpness and bokeh. I love these things as much as anyone else here.

I just don't think they're magical, that's all. That happens in the PP because there are so many things you can do with the image. Granted, you have to get it first, and that's why we love our glass.

14. Incredible

Incredibly sharp - love the DOF

15. Thanks Dude :)

16. Aiiii, that is SWEET!