Back in my club element (night life photos)...

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Jonathan F/2, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Anyways, I haven't shot in a club setting for while, but decided to post some stuff I shot last night (June 26th). I was actually at this club to shoot something else, unfortunately it did not pan out, but I decided to shoot what was there.

These performers are from an upcoming documentary called "Rize" by the famed photographer David Lachapelle. Here's a brief summary of this dance movement to put the photos into perspective:

The kids use dance as an alternative to gangs and hustling: they form their own troupes and paint their faces like warriors, meeting to outperform rival gangs of dancers or just to hone their skills. For the dancers, Krumping becomes a way of life – and, because it's authentic expression (in complete opposition to the bling-bling hip-hop culture), the dance becomes a vital part of who they are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This photo was for my own liking :)
    [​IMG]

Any critiques or suggestions are welcome!

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great photography..

The other side of life.

3. Jonathan, your stuff is art in its own way. Love the chick on the last one :wink: , but my favorite is #3.

4. Special Note: about iTTL which differs from dTTL

I've noticed I-TTL really tries it best to compensate light levels far more than D-TTL ever did. With several ambient lights, shooting with I-TTL the flashed photos actually came out slightly lighter than shooting with a D-TTL. Nothing so bad, since all I have to to do is bump down the curves in PS, but it's something worth noting.

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. Thanks! Clubs are definitely my element, and it was refreshing to be back...especially with a couple mixed drinks in my system! :p

I actually use ITTL BL, but only when using a lens that goes wider than 24mm, if not than I use normal ITTL. For awhile I was shooting manual and it was very refreshing, but considering the fast nature of my shooting, I was very happy to go back to shooting ITTL!

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
  8. The first girl in my post is actually the girl on the poster! She has abs of steel!

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I recognized her. Didja tell her you needed a hug? ;)

10. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    There all nice Jonathan , But something about the 2nd one , I like the feel of it.

11. Nice goin' Jonathan!!! :D :D :D

12. Johan

Johan

Jun 18, 2005
    Belgium
    Hi Jonathan,

Those shots are really great, respect man !!! It is very unusual for me shooting pictures like yours. Photographing people especially when they are aware of the fact that you are their, that their is a guy with a camera in their face isn't a thing I have done so far. Not up close and personal like this, I consider myself quite shy to do that. Now, I must say that if I would get the opportunity I think I would take it, but I can tell you I would be nervous as hell. Maybe this sounds strange but I like to move around in the "background" unnoticed. I had to make a photo report for a local association a few months ago, I remember being very nervous at the beginning, had to move around in big group of people. But at the end they were very happy with the results. So far my experiences with that.

It is great to see that you use slow shutterspeeds, like that a lot and that gives you that artistic touch and nice apertures. So, nice dynamics and nice apertures.

Keep it up !!!

Regards

Johan

13. Hi Johan,

Thanks for the compliment! I've gotten used to shooting people with or without their permission :wink: so for me shooting somebody up close is no big deal. Anyways, club venues are my favorite time to shoot slow shutter speed. The effects generated are very unique. Anyways, I like to interact with people, especially if its photographing the female gender! :p

Check out my other thread!
    https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=7335&highlight=

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  14. digitalfrog

digitalfrog Guest

Jonathan,

Nice Style !

I love night life too ;-)

I will invite you to the clubs if you ever head towards Amsterdam, and I might knock at your clubs doors (the ones you visit) if I ever go to LA ;-)

That could be fun !!

Ralph

large.

15. I've always wanted to go to Amsterdam for umm...the greenery! :p :) :wink:

16. As always Jonathan, nice shots. Interesting perspective and colors.