Back in the saddle again

The Eagle action has drastically slowed for some very ODD reason, as such, I am back to my bread & butter, little birds:wink::biggrin:. Spent the morning sitting in my blind near the bubbler. Temps started at 2 degrees and got up to 10 by the time I stopped shooting to do some work.

With the running water from the bubbler, part of the creek stays open and my oh my, do the birds love it. It amazes me that a bird would want to bath in water when the temps are near ZERO! Not every bird took a bath, but they were thirsty (probably this is the only open water around for a great distance).

During the slow times, I was chimping and began to realize how quick one can get out of the routine as far as technique goes. I have been shooting my 600 naked for a month or so now with Eagles and even on some up close work on the bubbler. Today, I set up further back so I could swing on a certain branch the birds love to perch on in a Tulip tree. So, I put the 1.4tc on. Prior to the last 2 months or so, I had the 1.4tc on almost 98% of the time, and was accustomed to what I had to do to get it done.

For the first few series of shots today, I was a bit troubled by how many OOF shots I was getting. My LLT was off a bit with the 1.4tc. There is a big jump in 600mm to 850mm as far as room for error. 850mm's and up and you simply can't get away with poor or even mediocore technique, especially at slow shutter speeds. So, determined to "right the course" I worked hard at getting back in the saddle and by mid morning, I was happy again:smile:. Here are a few from today.

#1 Tufted Titmouse
6995_L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

7025_L.jpg

I was somewhat taken back by what I saw come into the bubbler. Its been since mid November since I last saw a Yellow-Rumped Warbler, and low and behold, here came one and set down nice and pretty. You could tell it was cold.

6940_L.jpg

This next one was right up next to the snow bank on the edge of the stream. We have about 6 inches of snow on the ground.
7010_L.jpg

Hope to try again tomorrow as I saw a few new birds working the yard. Felt pretty good to be "back in the saddle again". Hope you enjoyed.

Great shots, Jason. The first shot is killer. It's always nice to have opportunities no matter what the weather. The bubbler sure is a draw for the little guys!
Hope the eagle action picks up... am planning to get over there before the end of January.

-Bill

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Easy to loose technique isn't it!? Folks sometimes scoff at this but it is true, you do loose technique for a while if you don't shoot a certain way..... However.....you got yours back in a hurry! :biggrin:

super shots, and a great sighting with the yellow rump!

What can I say but OH HOW SWEET IT IS:biggrin:
Got room in that saddle for one more:eek::Love::wink:
Well done my friend.

Jason I have been gone for a few days and it was a delight to come back and find these pictures. Great job and sorry your eagles have been hard to find.

All of them are excellent, but those Yellow-Rumped shots are just plain outstanding. I would say that you indeed are back in the saddle with your LLT.

Latest threads

Top Bottom