Back online

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Uncle Frank, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Hi, folks! I've been offline for a while, and it's good to be back. My mom was gravely ill, and I flew to the east coast to give her support, and to be her advocate while she was in the hospital. She's still in the hospital, but greatly improved, and one of my brothers has taken my place at her bedside for the moment.

The interesting thing about this trip was that I literally flew into the face of a hurricane. My mom lives in W. Palm Beach, Florida, and as I arrived a week ago Wednesday, the storm clouds were already looking ominous.

It was windy, too, and the plane landed sideways and broke the hydrolics in the nose wheel on impact. The captain managed to "fly" her straight down the runway, but called for the emergency trucks. The leaks had to be inspected to see if we were in danger of catching on fire before they'd tow us in to the terminal.

I slept in the hospital's waiting room the night before the hurricane, to make sure I could be with her on Monday. Wilma put on a amazing display of Mother Nature's power, and the destruction it left was staggering. I hope all of my friends from southern Florida came through the hurricane healthy and undaunted.

Palm Beach airport re-opened on Wednesday, so my brother was able to fly up from D.C., and I left yesterday to return home for a spell. I may be back in Floriday in a few weeks, and if conditions are improved, I'll try to get together with some of the S. Florida crowd.

God bless.

2. Frank,

Sorry to hear about your Mother's stay in the hospital, but glad she has made a turn for the better.

Glad you are back online and have returned home.

3. Frank;

Glad to hear that your Mom is improving. What a combination! Sick Mom, hurricane and rough landing. Certainly not a relaxing trip by any stretch.

Nice to have you back. Best to your family at this difficult time.

4. Sorry to hear about your mother hope she is on the road to recovery. What a scary landign I would be driving back, I need to be medicated to fly with in the first place

5. I'm happy to have you back Frank, I wondered where you were. Also, nice to see that your mom is on the mend and hope all goes well for her further recovery. Mom's are special.

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Sorry to hear about your mom Frank, but glad that she is doing better. Sounds like you had a rough trip for sure. I'm like Mike in that I don't like to fly in the first place.

Several years ago I flew back from CA in our company's jet (old company, not my current one), and the cross wind was gusting so hard that the pilot lined up about a half mile to the side of the runway, and the wind blew us right to the centerline by the time we landed. I was convinced that we were going to crash. :rolleyes:

Glad to see you back on line. Hope your mom continues to improve.

Regards,

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

8. Take good care of your mother, and yourself too Frank. I've been through it and I admire your determination.
    Like Brian said, not a sweet mixture : a mom in the hospital, an incoming hurricane and a hard landing.
    That #1 is breathtaking.

9. Thanks to all for the warm "welcome home".

I caused a bit of a stir in the hospital, because I brought my d70/28-70/sb800 combo with me. It's not usual to find people shooting that kind of gear in the hospital, much less the ICU. One of the surgeons got pretty upset... I think he was worried I was taking pics to use in a malpractice suit if things didn't go right. But I took some shots of mom, and of her visitors. She wouldn't be happy if I showed her picture, because she didn't have her makeup on, but here's a few of the others.

Our favorite duty RN, Cynthia. She has a huge heart and an amazing amount of empathy for her patients.

My brother, Ron.

Mom's friend, Tony. We accused her of having a boyfriend, but she said he's too young for her. Tony is only 79.

Alicia is the granddaughter of mom's best friend, who passed away last year. She visits often and for long periods, and describes herself as mom's step granddaughter, so that makes me her Uncle Frank :). I posed her with her fiance.

Mom's little sister, Bernice, who's only 82.

Mom asked me to take a picture of the flowers my brother sent. I included my gift... a magical witch to watch over her.

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Frank,

Very heartwarming pics. I would have never guessed that the 2nd one was your brother.:biggrin:

11. I've wondered about that myself, Frank :confused:. He's always been a PITA, unlike me :rolleyes:.

The heartwarming part is that I met so many people that love mom, and are watching out for her, too :Love: .

12. Really neat pictures you took at the hospital. thanks for sharing this part of your experience.

13. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Uncle Frank - you never cease to amaze with that "different" view. Welcome back, hope your Mom continues her progress and thank you for sharing the experience.

14. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I'm so glad your mom is on the mend Frank! With all her family and friends gathered to her side I just know that she will make a full recovery. I know just how worrisome parental illness can be. I have, and now upon seeing your inspiring photos of the 'crew', redoubled my efforts to spend time talking to and visiting with my own mother. Of course it doesn't hurt that she lives in beautiful surroundings.

Thanks Frank for the reminder that EVERY day is Mother's day, for where would we be without them?

15. Hey UF,

I kept on looking for you these past days, with no success. I was wondering...
    Really sorry for your mom. It's always hard. Good luck.

16. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    So sorry to hear your mother has been ill. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Happy to hear she is on the mend.

Amazing photos you shared...as others have said, the 1st is amazing! Take care and welcome back!

17. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I also was off-line too for over a week, in hospital again so I didn't know you were away....glad to see your mom is doing better!

18. Looks like we were both in hospitals, though you were a patient and I was just an advocate. I read about your illness, Ken, and hope you're well on the way to mending by now!

19. Frank,

Sorry to hear about your mom. It looks like your visit really did some good: we hope she is getting better. Btw, that pic of your brother is a crack-up! :smile:

20. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Sorry to hear about your mother...

...Frank, but it's good to have you back!

(I think I still owe you a phone call, though!)