Back to MAC

I tried using a windows 8 touch screen. A Lenovo Idea Pad. What a joke I am sending it back to Microsoft . Just ordered a Mac Mini with an i7 processor and a terabyte hard drive I should have it tomorrow Hopefully it will drive my 24 inch HP monitor My problem with Windows 8 is it is not repeatable and I was always suddenly getting into strange situations . I will set up bootcamp and try windows on the mini. I need to rn Quicken and Microsoft Access otherwise I would abandon Windows.:smile:

I switched 7 years ago and never looked back. I used windows machines for 20 years and I had no desire to change. The reason I did switch is funny and likely not the typical reason.
I needed a new laptop about 7 years ago and I tried 2 windows machines. A asus and dell. Both machines made a faint high pitch noise all the time and it drove me crazy. When I looked into it I learned that the intel chip at the time had this issue and the only platform that didn't suffer from it was macs. My wife thought I was crazy because she thought it was so minor but I am very sensitive to sounds like that.

I bought a macbook pro and within 2 weeks I cringed when entering windows. I now am an apple junkie and really need help. I have a 15" mbp, 17" mbp and the new air. I am now looking to buy an imac and sell our 15".

Welcome back to the Mac world, Ed! :smile:

Since September 10th is when Apple will be announcing the new iPhone(s) I doubt that there will be mention of any other product being updated at that time.... The focus probably will be on the iPhone(s) and also iOS 7. More likely any update to the iMac will be a quiet little "refresh" announced one day in September or October on the Apple.com News page..... Ditto for refreshes to some of the others, such as the Mac Mini and the MacBook Pro. In October is when we'll probably get news about the iPad 5 and the iPad Mini.

I am going to wait for September before pulling the trigger on the imac. I am hoping some type of upgrade will happen. Last week I purchased a thunderbolt 27" display and the wireless keyboard and mouse. I was planning to hook up to the 17" and just use this for a desktop. After some more thought I think it might be smarter to buy an imac. My 17" is getting a little older now and the 3 items added up to 950$. I just think it might make more sense selling one of our laptops and getting a new imac.

I am hoping this September we will see a new imac and a new thunderbolt display. I think they will come out with a thunderbolt 2.0 for the new mac pro. I doubt I would buy the new one but it might drop the price of the older display.

Welcome back.

I'm just in the middle of a transition, moving my files from my 7 year old Win 7 PC to my new MacBook Pro (non-retina) that I picked up yesterday.

Installed a VM to run Win 7, since I need two applications for work, and Win 7 runs so nicely on a Mac!:eek::biggrin:

However, I can now consolidate virtually everything it to one environment, which will make me more efficient.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I currently have windows 8 running under parallels on my Macbook pro and hate it. This time I will dual boot under bootcamp. I never know what mode windows will be in. Screen resolution for windows changes at times. I hate it but I need windows for a couple of programs Should have my new Mac Mini today

I never understood the difference between Parallels and Bootcamp, but that will be part of iMac purchase. I need to run some windows based programs.

Bootcamp is better than Parallels?

Thanks in advance.

I never understood the difference between Parallels and Bootcamp, but that will be part of iMac purchase. I need to run some windows based programs.

Bootcamp is better than Parallels?

Thanks in advance.
In Parallels you run Windows in a virtual machine environment whereas with Bootcamp you actually partition your hard drive to hold a Windows installation and you boot the computer directly into Windows. A virtual machine setup a la Parallels is generally more convenient however the Bootcamp method makes for a faster Windows experience.

I've got Fusion 5 running Win 7 in a virtual machine, and so far, with only one exception (which is pretty important) it's smooth sailing. My exception is that the app that I need in Windows will not install. Good news is there is a competitive app that I will try and install later tomorrow.

Another alternative to Parallels.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I cant get BootCamp to install on my new mini. It creates the partitions tries to reboot and then hangs. Any suggestions will be appreciated. This is a big disappointment

I'm just about to hit the highway for the so can't be of much help right now however I do have a couple suggestions. First, do a Google search for "bootcamp install hangs on reboot" or something similar. Second, consider doing a USB stick install. You can Google that too. If all else fails you can turn to Parallels or VMWare.

Good luck.

I cant get BootCamp to install on my new mini. It creates the partitions tries to reboot and then hangs. Any suggestions will be appreciated. This is a big disappointment
1. How many disks and how are they partitioned?
2. Does the system hang trying to reboot immediately after creating the bootcamp partition or does it hang rebooting during the installation of Windows?

It is all Mac in our home since some time and I never looked back.
This weekend I needed to install a video presentation on the new high-end laptop (PC) of the GM of my golf club.
The amount of bloatware that kept going off looked like bloody fireworks - just crazy!
I know that a knowledgable user can deal with that, but pity the average Joe who is stuck with this cr*p!

No it creates the partition. tries to reboot and hangs
The other question (actually questions) are important: Is it just your boot disk and the Windows partition you are trying to create or are there other disks? The presence of other disks may be confusing things. If you have other disks attached, remove them and try again.

Some follow up questions: what exact OS version and what firmware version. Both of these can be found in the About This Mac.... menu under the Apple icon.

Is this a brand new system? If so, did you create an ISO of the installation files on a DVD or USB stick? If so, you should boot from the installation media you created and run a pass of Disk Utility to verify the boot drive, reformat and reinstall. Then try to create the boot camp partition again.

(edit) Here is a screen capture of the firmware versions on my Mac Mini...

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom