Back to South Dakota, Driving This Time

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
True. But when driving through remote areas, there are fewer practical routes. Regardless of which routes or how many of them are available, the GPS will take into account driving conditions of all the available routes relying upon data that couldn't otherwise be known to the driver. Trying to outguess the GPS device is a fool's errand in my mind.
I don't think anyone is trying to out guess GPS in real time. What they are trying to do is plan the most reasonable route with knowledge they have now.

Nashville on will be a common route that I have used many times. I drove to Gardiner MT this May and I will be driving to Jackson, WY September 20th from Atlanta. Custer (State Park SD) I assume. The issue I try to avoid is traffic. From Nashville, I24 to I57 to I74 picking up I80 in Davenport. I80 to I 29 to I90. This I have found to be preferred to any travel on I70 which is 2 lanes ST Louis to Kanas City and any roadwork or accident is a time disaster. Driving through farming country IL is far preferred. There will be a moderate amount of traffic on I80 with a lot of trucks but they generally stay in the right lane at the speed limit. I29 to Rapid City traffic will be very light to almost nonexistent. SD speed limit is generally 80 MPH and anticipate the daily southernly winds (sometimes out of the North) blowing at 20 -30 MPH steady. Being one that has not driven out west, you should make a point to always get gas before you hit a 1/4 tank as gas stations can be 50 miles apart at times.

Along I80 there are a number of old west tourist stops, the Corn Palace, the Missouri river rest area and overlook is a good place to take a break (pay attention to the Rattle Snake warning signs). There is the ICBM Missile site and Badlands NP (Big Horn Sheep rams tend to be around the Pinnacles). As you approach Rapid City the speed limit will drop to 65 MPH, take that seriously as the local police do.

Have a good drive.
Thanks. Great info.

Speaking of traffic, just about every interstate in the St. Louis area has some type of construction going now. If you’re going to stop in St. Charles, MO coming from Nashville, you’ll take I-24 going West to I-57 North then take 64 West and from there you have options to get to St. Charles:

1. Take 64 West to 70 West to St. Charles.

2. Take 64 West to 270 North in Missouri to 70 West to St. Charles.

3. Take 64 West to 255 North to 270 West to 70 West to St. Charles.

The first two options will take you thru the downtown area of St. Louis. Option #3 will take you around the city. Of the three, there is no money on earth that could ever entice me to take Option #1 (and I live in St. Louis) as that particular section of 70 West is just treacherous. My recommendation is that if you would like to maintain your sanity, take Option #3, unless you really want to thru downtown. If that’s the case, go with Option #2 and say ‘Hello’ to the Gateway Arch which will be to your left as you cross over the river to enter Missouri. The third choice will take you a little further out of the way, but, in my opinion, it is the best of the three choices that I outlined.

The St. Charles area doesn’t have too much going on. There’s the historical part of the city which has some quaint shops and such and if you’re going to stop there overnight that’s a good place for you to do so. They’ve got decent restaurants and overall it’s a pleasant place to be for a day.

Whatever you decide on, however, have a safe trip and a great time!
Thanks. More great info. I'll read more about #3.

The last time I went to South Dakota, I drove from Chicago to Pierre on day 1. That was 850 miles (12 hours) or so. I didn't mind it, but I didn't want to repeat that again on Day 2. Then again, I tend to stop quite often to see things along the way and that extends my road trips.

Glenn
Thanks. On the way there I'll just drive it, but on the way back I'll stop and check things out.

I can't comment on the area- I am sure you will find wonderful images everywhere.
On longer drives try an audible book. The right one can just make the time fly by.
I am in the middle of Project Hail Mary, by Andy Weir. (author of The Martian)
It is excellent if you kind of like science. Also makes you laugh.
But there are thousands of them and will keep you entertained and alert.
Enjoy your travels
gary
Thanks. Everything helps. I'm really looking forward to it.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Just to add to Lyndee, consider taking 270 to 370 and depending on hotel choices, there is a nice holiday inn express at 370 and elm industrial drive North of St Charles, this way you by pass that 270/70 interchange completely. If you travel this direction.

myriad of options and suggestions, enjoy!

I read an article once about a photographer travelling.
He stayed off interstates, only back roads.
He set a timer- and had to immediately (safely) stop whenever the timer went off. It was set to random times between 20-60 minutes I believe. At that point he had to stop and do some photography.
He was amazed- he always found something to shoot.
I have always wanted to try it driving. I have tried it hiking- got some interesting stuff I normally would have walked on by.
Travel is not always about the destination. The journey can be much of the opportunity.
Safe travels.
gary

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
I read an article once about a photographer travelling.
He stayed off interstates, only back roads.
He set a timer- and had to immediately (safely) stop whenever the timer went off. It was set to random times between 20-60 minutes I believe. At that point he had to stop and do some photography.
He was amazed- he always found something to shoot.
I have always wanted to try it driving. I have tried it hiking- got some interesting stuff I normally would have walked on by.
Travel is not always about the destination. The journey can be much of the opportunity.
Safe travels.
gary
I use my spouse’s bladder when on road trips with her! Lol.

Thanks. More great info. I'll read more about #3.
Look at option #2, which is what I use if I have to go that way. When on I 64 you will cross IL 10 about 15-20 miles east of St Louis. Turn right and it is about 10 miles through corn country to I 70. Zip traffic from my experience and then take I 270 when you come to it, it will put you back on I 70 and you will by pass all of SL mess.

If you are going to take I 80 west rather than I 90, look for Nebraska HWY #2 at I believe Nebraska City. It is a 4 lane, not limited access, but will take you to I 80 at Lincoln and cut 45 minutes or more off that drive.

Latest threads

Top Bottom