Back to the Software Question

I appreciate everyone's responses in my previous post titled "Confused About Software." Maybe I should have just retitled this "CAS2" :)

It sounds like there is more support for NikonView than PicturePerfect and strong support for PhotoShop.

My next questions are:

1. Which would be better of these three software packages on sale at CompUSA this week (sorry, but I watch the sales for just about everything!)--Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0, PaintShop Pro 9, or PhotoImpact Pro 10.0.

I will buy one and not spend any more time fiddling with the software that came from Dell.

Next question: Should I also download NikonView from the Nikon website and will it peacefully coexist with whichever of the three I get from CompUSA? How would I use NikonView differently from PhotoShop Elements, PSP, or PhotoImpact?

If I understood some of the previous replies, the Nikon software will give the shooting data with my pics whereas PhotoShop, etc. won't.

I've got a couple of weeks off and I want to get better acquainted with my D50 and its capabilities. I really appreciate the sage advice and patience of all of you who read my posts and reply. I have a pretty good eye, but too little time, so it's taking a while to get everything going.

Given those choices, Paint Shop Pro would be, in my opinion, the best choice. Each version gets better and closer to Photoshop. You might also take a look at Bibble.

Use Nikon View and Transfer to transfer your images from your memory card to your hard disk and then use PSP for you editing. You can transfer images from Nikon View or you can simply use the PSP browser. I am not sure how well, if at all, PSP will deal with NEF files, that is where a program like Bibble comes into play.

It can seem daunting, but don't give up, it really isn't that bad, honest :wink:

Retief said:
It can seem daunting, but don't give up, it really isn't that bad, honest :wink:

Thanks, Bill. I see you're up in Washington. I hope you and your family are safe with the wildfires running rampant again this year.

Vandyu said:
Retief said:

Thanks, Bill. I see you're up in Washington. I hope you and your family are safe with the wildfires running rampant again this year.

Thank you, we are quite far, in Washington terms, from where the fires are. We don't have such issues here much on West side of the Cascades. As long as Mt. Rainier doesn't decide to blow-up not much of anything, catastrophe-wise, happens in this part of the state, except for electing a Governor :lol:

Real Name
Chris
Hi Ann, I recomend that you get Photoshop Elements. You can convert NEF files, and edit them, and save or print them with the same program, because Adobe's raw converter, ACR (currently 3.1), runs as a plug-in inside Elements.

You can either drag image files from your CF card reader or pluged-in camera, or yu can Transfer them with the free Nikon Software. Nikon View includes a very nice thumbnail viewer/arranger, but is slower than a direct operating system transfer. Either way transfers the shooting data as well.

Chris101 said:
Hi Ann, I recomend that you get Photoshop Elements. You can convert NEF files, and edit them, and save or print them with the same program, because Adobe's raw converter, ACR (currently 3.1), runs as a plug-in inside Elements.

You can either drag image files from your CF card reader or pluged-in camera, or yu can Transfer them with the free Nikon Software. Nikon View includes a very nice thumbnail viewer/arranger, but is slower than a direct operating system transfer. Either way transfers the shooting data as well.

Hi Chris. I like your new avatar, but don't you get dizzy? :)

By "free Nikon software" do you mean Nikon View rather than the Picture Perfect that came with the camera? I get the feeling from reading various posts that Picture Perfect isn't the way to go with Nikon software. And, either Elements or PSP would be a good primary software for my needs. Sounds like people get used to one brand and stay with it through various incarnations. I'm just trying to get off to a good start rather than trying to learn 3 or 4 different approaches.

Do you know if Elements 3.0 is the latest or is there another upgrade coming in a month or two? I'd rather get the most recent version of either Elements or PSP.

I purchased Photoshop Elements 3.0 a few weeks ago at Costco for about $80. It has a free upgrade to 3.01 or 3.1, I can't remember. It offered the update online for me.

There is a website for Elements users (http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com) that is quite good. When you register your software you will get an email within a couple of days offering you 30 days free access in the subscriber area (along with offers to continue subscribing).

They also offer online training that is helpful for me as a digital newby. The training sessions are downloaded each day for 21 days. They are videos from Scott Kelby and have .pdf files and sample photos you can use or use some of your own photos. The class is only $20, so it's a real bargain and helpful if you're just starting out. It covers many of the popular features Elements has.

As I understand it an advantage to Elements is that if/when you want to upgrade to the full-blown Photoshop, much of what you've learned in Elements will transfer over. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hope this helps.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
I'm sure they are fine packages all of them but I would recommend Photoshop Elemnts for a few reasons:
1. It is a good allaround package, lots of books and people know it and can give you help online.
2. If you ever decide to move up to Photoshop, it will be an easier migration, all is not the same in the two packages but the philosophy is

Real Name
Chris
Vandyu said:
Hi Chris. I like your new avatar, but don't you get dizzy? :)

By "free Nikon software" do you mean Nikon View rather than the Picture Perfect that came with the camera? I get the feeling from reading various posts that Picture Perfect isn't the way to go with Nikon software. And, either Elements or PSP would be a good primary software for my needs. Sounds like people get used to one brand and stay with it through various incarnations. I'm just trying to get off to a good start rather than trying to learn 3 or 4 different approaches.

Do you know if Elements 3.0 is the latest or is there another upgrade coming in a month or two? I'd rather get the most recent version of either Elements or PSP.

I don't. You can see my momentary pause in the spin, Dancers call this spotting, so I don't get dizzy. ;)

Yes, I mean the Nikon View/Transfer/Edit package. I've used Photoshop and Nikon Capture, but haven't ever used Paint Shop Pro or Bibble, so I cannot compare features. I have no doubt Paint Shop is a fine and capable program, but it doesn't offer integrated Raw processing, nor is there the volume of support you will find for Elements.

Once you have bought Elements 3.anything, all of the rest of the 3.x versions are a free download. Upgrading is very simple, just drag and drop as they say.

Paint Shop Pro 9 does in fact have RAW support. I have been told that it is a Bibble plug-in. It does not convert quickly and you only have a few options, but it is there. I use PSP9 but don't like the RAW converter. For that, I use NC4.3.

Chris101 said:
Yes, I mean the Nikon View/Transfer/Edit package. I've used Photoshop and Nikon Capture, but haven't ever used Paint Shop Pro or Bibble, so I cannot compare features. I have no doubt Paint Shop is a fine and capable program, but it doesn't offer integrated Raw processing, nor is there the volume of support you will find for Elements.

Once you have bought Elements 3.anything, all of the rest of the 3.x versions are a free download. Upgrading is very simple, just drag and drop as they say.

Well, I think I'll go with Elements since both programs are good, but seems like folks like Elements a bit better. Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm sure I'll ask for more help down the road after I get it installed and begin using it. You guys are really great!

Real Name
Chris
I should mention here, that software, especially the user interface is dependant on the individual. One person will love what another hates in the way programs interact. For exampe, I can do Photoshop (at least the easy stuff) in my sleep, but I never know what I'm doing with Nikon Capture. My results are hit and miss with that program, but I use it occasionally when I want to load or develop a custom curve for my D100. I have never used either Paint Shop nor Bibble.

Some of the other respondants on this thread are more proficient with other programs (Paint Shop, Nikon Capture, etc.) than they are with Photoshop or Elements. It's a very personal thing. There is a free 30 day tryout version of Elements here.

Latest threads

Top Bottom