BACK-UP to NEW Computer.....

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by W.Ditto, May 14, 2007.

1. dumb question.....if I buy a new PC, and it has, of course, Windows Vista, will I be able to upload all the info onto it that I downloaded from my old , Windows XP , computer ? (does that sound rite ?) yes, that's the deal, I downloaded my old stuff from XP, now want to upload it into the new Vista, can I???
    thanks
    dit

2. Jeffx2

Jeffx2

May 2, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Do you mean things like your address books, To-Do lists, emails, etc? They have a "Files and Settings" transfer wizard that will do that for you. They usually hide it in the Accessories. It can either pull the information from your old computer or from a backed up location.

If you're talking about programs then you are probably better off just doing a fresh install.

3. well, some of them are that, but basically, I had simply downloaded a complete copy of everything in my hard drive, and it included windows XP, so I'n\m thinking now, if I get a new one, it won't recognize an upload because it will be inside the XP and Vista won't accept, right?

4. If you mean you're trying to copy/paste your entire old hard drive onto your new one, overwriting the files on the new one in hopes that it retains everything from your old one, it's a bad idea.

5. It's been a while since I've bought a new Windows machine, but the last time I did I was going from Win 98 SE to Win XP Pro. I did NOT use the so-called handy files-and-settings wizard; instead, I simply installed the programs I wanted in there and then transferred the various files within those programs from an external drive where I'd stored them. For my "favorites" I simply did that from scratch as the need arose, as my favorites list was bloated with stuff I never looked at again. One thing which helped in this process was that I had a printout of all my favorites, all the various websites where I needed to register and the passwords I used, etc., etc.....and a listing of my email address book entries, too. Came in quite handy!

It is my belief that when you're starting out with a new machine, especially if it has a new version of the OS, that it is best not to try and dump all the old stuff from a previous machine into it.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    You can copy DATA files.
    Data files are files that you put in there your self. Like word documents. Picutres.
    That type of stuff.

The rest are PROGRAMS and must be reinstalled. Just like when you got your other computer:>)))))

7. { what I wouldn't give for a yellow pad and a pencil}
    okay, y'all, thanks - yeegads I feel like a dummie....