Share Back when HDR was a thing...

With modern cameras and software, HDR isn't needed much anymore—and some would argue that it never was. I certainly use it much less now, although I still blend multiple frames when the dynamic range is just too wide to capture with a single shot. But a few years ago, things were different. I tried HDR on about everything, including people. Some of the results were pretty natural looking and others were... not. Architecture, cars and landscapes seemed to turn out the best, with cars showing the most latitude for pushing the envelope, at least for me.

Here are a couple taken at Armstrong Hall, Purdue University, pushed close to the brink of overcooked but restrained a bit due to a near-monochrome color palette in one case and a B&W conversion in the other. I liked the texture revealed in the concrete back then but I'm not as wild about it now.

One Small Step.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

EDIT: Replaced the original ^^ with a slightly less crunchy version.

2nd-Place.jpg

Anyone have anything from the HDR genre (any subject matter), either archived or current, to share?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, since no one else has chimed in, here are two more.

HDR was pretty handy when I shot a mansion in Louisville with a D200, using 100 ISO to hold the noise down while using natural lighting to preserve the warmth of the rooms.

Entrance Hall_1HDR.jpg

I also used it at a resort in West Virginia for some of the landscapes.

EDIT: now that I've posted the landscape I see some haloing along the tree line that was not in the final. It should have been in the same folder as this one. Meh, my filing system is more of a piling system... I'll see if I can find it.
EDIT 2: Found it, swapped it out.

Last edited:
I used 5 shots for this sunrise at Monument Valley. I think this was 2012 with a D700 and 24-70 f/2.8.
5F9D441F-ECBD-4DB2-9955-AAE3761F7980.jpeg

This was from 2010. Interior of the North Rim Lodge at the Grand Canyon.

HDR Carlsbad Caverns 2019

Well, since no one else has chimed in, here are two more.

HDR was pretty handy when I shot a mansion in Louisville with a D200, using 100 ISO to hold the noise down while using natural lighting to preserve the warmth of the rooms.

View attachment 1661593

I also used it at a resort in West Virginia for some of the landscapes.

View attachment 1661594
EDIT: now that I've posted the landscape I see some haloing along the tree line that was not in the final. It should have been in the same folder as this one. Meh, my filing system is more of a piling system... I'll see if I can find it.

Like both of these. They look very natural.

You're right about HDR pretty much going away. Once I got a D600 I realized I could just expose for the highlights and lift the shadows as needed without worrying about noise.

I like them (and I do HDR often).

the one I think is a tad overdone is the stairs (#2)
I don't disagree about the stairs but I have a soft spot for that image... it took 2nd place in whatever competition Nikonians was having at the time. I got a really nice Think Tank backpack out of it too and still use it to this day—TT is quality stuff.

Last edited:
Cars are always shining in HDR
Agreed!

Edwards Custom 2014_101a.jpg

There is an issue here. The HDR look is what some processing programs look like when they make HDR make-believe. That is not HDR as we all know.

HDR (High Dynamic Range) is when you combine several images shot ad different apertures to expose for dark and light. That is not the same as fake-HDR on one image only done with software, which gives you the look you get in the car images.

I am not saying it looks bad in cars or anything of the sort, just that what these programs called HDR isn't.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom