Share Back when HDR was a thing...

There is an issue here. The HDR look is what some processing programs look like when they make HDR make-believe. That is not HDR as we all know.

HDR (High Dynamic Range) is when you combine several images shot ad different apertures to expose for dark and light. That is not the same as fake-HDR on one image only done with software, which gives you the look you get in the car images.

I am not saying it looks bad in cars or anything of the sort, just that what these programs called HDR isn't.
Agreed, but you can get that same look by blending multiple exposures. That's what happened in my image in post #8; I blended several exposures to try to insure that both the outdoors and the indoors were both visible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There is an issue here. The HDR look is what some processing programs look like when they make HDR make-believe. That is not HDR as we all know.

HDR (High Dynamic Range) is when you combine several images shot ad different apertures to expose for dark and light. That is not the same as fake-HDR on one image only done with software, which gives you the look you get in the car images.

I am not saying it looks bad in cars or anything of the sort, just that what these programs called HDR isn't.
Call it a difference in philosophy or maybe just semantics, but it's all about High Dynamic Range and I don't think it matters much how it's achieved. I've done a lot of what I guess you would consider traditional HDR, inputting 3, 5 or even 9 frames into software and letting it output an image. The results weren't always optimal (this was especially true early on) and I usually ended up stacking the HDR output with one or two of the original frames to get the look I wanted. These days I tend to favor exposure blending with luminosity masks, such as with the Buick engine above. For some subjects and shooting conditions, either of those methods is probably the best approach. But...

Now that cameras have such wide native DR and software, such as LR and C1, can extract so much information from the highlights and shadows, I very often make do with a single frame and I'm happy with the result. I've compared the output from bracketed sets with single frame rendering from C1 and, in many cases, the differences are minimal to non-existent with regard to detail retention. As far as the overall look and tone of the images, I would usually give the edge to the single frame render. Of course, some of this may have to do with the fact that my copies of Photomatix and Nik HDR Efex Pro haven't been updated in a long while (and of course Nik never will be). Nowadays, if I want to process brackets I typically use LR's Photomerge>HDR which outputs a dng file. I like this capability quite a lot.

Finally, to make a long post even longer, I mentioned in my first post that I've tried HDR on people and I will not be posting any of those early experiments here. But what I finally developed, using the single frame method, were HDR people presets for LR and C1 which I used extensively in my event photography, especially car shows. These presets produced a "look" was well received and responsible, at least in part, for a fair amount of repeat business. There's an example attached.

In the end, if you're happy with your images it doesn't really matter how they were created. It's all good. ;)

Attachments

Last edited:

My 3 images are all made of 3 bracketed shots blended together with Photomatix ...( i believe the first one in fact is made of 5 images )

^^ I love the mid-fifties Chevys. Here's an engine from a '55:

_DSC7791_2_3_4_5_tonemapped.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Steve
I bought an A6000 and was playing around with the effects built-in. This one still hangs framed in the restaurant at 18"x24", maybe 20"x30," sold a few prints from it.

Real Name
Steve
...and the parents LOVED this one (still looking for original).

Real Name
Andrew
I didn't get into HDR to get into HDR...back in the day, I was trying to satisfy clients desire to get the "Dave Hill effect". I learned it enough to satisfy what they wanted and never really use it that much since then.

But, in the spirit of sharing, here are some of my experiment.
4389162020_a1f045eb3d_k.jpg
6245737136_31c4090f5e_o.jpg

6711976899_4f6b70e090_o.jpg
6728607587_0272ddf7ae_o.jpg
6986173399_9d0c85a709_o.jpg
6986174203_c0f93fc243_o.jpg

Hi i'm new here i use HDR all the time always using luminosity masks and manually blending. Here is a recent example (not Nikon, i've just returned to Z after a hiatus) This shot didn't turn out as well as what i had hoped for but the bushfires we had in summer in my city it would have been impossible to capture the way i envisioned without it. I wanted to have car trails, see the stars, the lights of the houses and the flames of the fire without it all blowing out. The shadow i was happy to remain as such. I think the idea was good but the execution let me down. Hopefully i can start sharing some more successful Nikon versions in the very near future, especially with our quarantine now over.

Call it a difference in philosophy or maybe just semantics, but it's all about High Dynamic Range and I don't think it matters much how it's achieved. I've done a lot of what I guess you would consider traditional HDR, inputting 3, 5 or even 9 frames into software and letting it output an image. The results weren't always optimal (this was especially true early on) and I usually ended up stacking the HDR output with one or two of the original frames to get the look I wanted. These days I tend to favor exposure blending with luminosity masks, such as with the Buick engine above. For some subjects and shooting conditions, either of those methods is probably the best approach. But...

Now that cameras have such wide native DR and software, such as LR and C1, can extract so much information from the highlights and shadows, I very often make do with a single frame and I'm happy with the result. I've compared the output from bracketed sets with single frame rendering from C1 and, in many cases, the differences are minimal to non-existent with regard to detail retention. As far as the overall look and tone of the images, I would usually give the edge to the single frame render. Of course, some of this may have to do with the fact that my copies of Photomatix and Nik HDR Efex Pro haven't been updated in a long while (and of course Nik never will be). Nowadays, if I want to process brackets I typically use LR's Photomerge>HDR which outputs a dng file. I like this capability quite a lot.

Finally, to make a long post even longer, I mentioned in my first post that I've tried HDR on people and I will not be posting any of those early experiments here. But what I finally developed, using the single frame method, were HDR people presets for LR and C1 which I used extensively in my event photography, especially car shows. These presets produced a "look" was well received and responsible, at least in part, for a fair amount of repeat business. Here's an example:

View attachment 1661704
In the end, if you're happy with your images it doesn't really matter how they were created. It's all good. ;)
Really nice work. This is a look I tried to achieve using LucisPro when the former owner offered it for 30.00 because she was closing down. Then someone else bought and licensed it.

I didn't get into HDR to get into HDR...back in the day, I was trying to satisfy clients desire to get the "Dave Hill effect". I learned it enough to satisfy what they wanted and never really use it that much since then.
Yeah, I don't think Dave Hill uses it much anymore either but I haven't seen any of his work for some time. For awhile I tried to emulate (sounds better than copy) Joel Grimes' grungy flash technique. I don't think he ever saw me as a threat. :)
Hi i'm new here i use HDR all the time always using luminosity masks and manually blending. Here is a recent example (not Nikon, i've just returned to Z after a hiatus) This shot didn't turn out as well as what i had hoped for but the bushfires we had in summer in my city it would have been impossible to capture the way i envisioned without it. I wanted to have car trails, see the stars, the lights of the houses and the flames of the fire without it all blowing out. The shadow i was happy to remain as such. I think the idea was good but the execution let me down. Hopefully i can start sharing some more successful Nikon versions in the very near future, especially with our quarantine now over.
That's a pretty dramatic scene even if you're not completely satisfied with it. You can always redo—one of the advantages of shooting multiple frames with different exposures is the ability to blend them in new ways. You might not achieve your original vision but you might get a result that pleases you more.
Really nice work. This is a look I tried to achieve using LucisPro when the former owner offered it for 30.00 because she was closing down. Then someone else bought and licensed it.
Thanks. I have both versions of Lucis, the original cheap version and then the $30 special which I almost missed out on because I never read anywhere that it was happening; I just stumbled onto the deal. I used combinations of HDR plus Lucis fairly often and the image below may be an example. I can't locate the master file so I can't say for sure, but it has the look.

And another Lucis-centric image:

Last edited:
Just so this thread doesn't become too car-focused on my part (as much as I love how HDR renders them), here are a couple of frames from an airport shoot where I used HDR extensively.

Attachments

Last edited:
The comments / participation sure stopped all of a sudden. Did I do something wrong or has this just run its course?

Old hdr from 2007 from the D200 - 5 image HDR processed and tonemapped in Photomatix. Soon after found out about exposure blending and Photomatix was seldom used goung forward.
Liked the texture but looking at it now a little on the crunchy side.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom