Back with more (flowers & stuff for the week)

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by virtuamike, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Still experimenting with processing. This week I'm trying selective color to do my color correction instead of using color balance, feeling I'm getting more control.

ucd01_full.

ucd02_full.

ucd03_full.

ucd04_full.

ucd05_full.

2. Hi Mike, I find your images different and thought provoking. You have used the top half of your EV range and yet still managed to not blow the highlight for the most part. It's nice to see someone push the envelope.

3. Ditto Mike, you abstract composition brings a smile to my face every time. Great stuff!

Re selective colour correction, do you correct the foreground (main subject) colour as well as the background?

Regards,
    Jonathan

4. Thx Gordon! Heh even my lightmeter doesn't like me, I usually go 1/3-2/3 stops above what it reads for ambient. Finding that there's a lot of info that the D70 can hold in the upper range. Even if it means blowing some highlights here and there it's ok to push as long as the highlights aren't in the main focus area of the shot.

Thx Jonathan! With selective I correct both. Most of the time my subjects are lit a couple stops higher than background so they'll run different color temps. A few like with this week's are with brighter background than subject. I try to get my subjects as neutral as possible, and then I take care of background according to how cool or warm I want them in relation to keep it looking natural. Then again it only works if the subject and background don't share any common colors, which is why I try to get as much color separation between subject and background as possible.

5. Great shots, full of details, the kind I would like to do.