Back yard visitor

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I was out shooting the BYB this morning when this guy flew into a tree in my neighbor's yard. I had seen him (or her) a few days ago, scouting out my feeders, and you can see the glare at the same target in these shots. Fortunately for all of my birdies and tree rats, they saw him coming and scattered rapidly. I'm not sure, but I think that it is a Sharp-shinned Hawk.

Taken with the D2Hs / 400 2.8 + 1.7 TC.

The landing:
    [​IMG]

The glare:
    [​IMG]

Getting ready to swoop:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking. :smile:

2. Beautiful shots Frank.

Louie

3. Timeout

Timeout

May 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Wow, beautiful shots, gorgeous hawk! He does look like he means business ...

Frank, very nice processing, love the colors; perfect amount of saturation. :smile:

4. Looks great, and excellent processing too, just right!

5. Glad I ain't hawk food! Beautiful shots Flew! Keep em comin!

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks for the kind comments folks. The processing on these was both easy and difficult. Easy because the images were very sharp, so I had to add only a minute amount of Smart Sharpening. I assume that this was because the bird was fairly distant (about 75-80 feet) so I got good DOF. Hard, because it landed in a shaded area and I was set for shooting in full sun, so it was underexposed by almost 1/2 stops. I used the U-Point feature in NX to lighten the subject without having to bring up the background too much.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow he an is impressive bird
    Super shots

8. He is one good looking hawk and nice captures too.
    I am envious.
    Harish

9. Rich Color, good detail and Excellent DOF

Did a Good job Frank

10. DoorMan

DoorMan Guest

Excellent series Frank.

11. Great examples of a good looking bird!

12. Bubba

Bubba

Apr 12, 2005
    Alabama
    WOW! Very nice indeed. Somewhat makes up for the hawks not paying us a visit Friday huh?

13. great shots Frank.. looks like a coopers to me, but I am not much of a birder.

14. Nice shots what a pleasnt suprise...for you not the BYB's

15. Beautiful shots Frank. Beautiful bird!

16. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks again everybody. To say that I was excited would be an understatement.

Ray,

The Sharp-shinned and Coopers are very, very similar, differing almost entirely only in size. The Sharp-shinned average length is about 11 inches, while the Coopers averages about 16.5 inches. At 75-80 feet, I couldn't tell for sure, but he sure looked on the small side to me. Could very well be a Coopers though. :smile:

17. Nicely done Frank. Good things come to good people!

Just curious - how much of a crop?

18. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Rory. These are vertical crops from landscape shots, so I'd say they are probably about a 50-60% crop in the horizontal, and about 15-20% in the vertical. Not bad for a 4MP camera. :smile:

19. Darn right.

20. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Hey Frank,

I believe it's a Cooper's Hawk judging by the round tail but I wouldn't bet a penny on it. :confused:

Either way you were able to capture some nice images of it!