1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Backcountry Hiking in Yosemite

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by seabee1999, Jul 27, 2009.

1. This summer, I have finally taken advantage of my location here in NV and done a few backpacking hikes in Yosemite. I want to take one final hike before leaving NV and the route that I have chosen is the Porcupine Trail from Rt 120 to the Valley floor. On the way, I want to stop at North Dome for a few shots, camp and move on to Yosemite Falls there after. My question is for those how may have taken this route in late August, how is the water situation like along this trail? I noticed a few creeks on the Topo but I am not sure how dry they are come late August. I do have a water pump/purifier and I am trying to minimize weight if possible by not carrying as much H2O but pumping along the way. Thanks for your help or leads.

God Bless,
    David

2. I think most of the Sierra has been in drought conditions too.

Mike

3. Unfortunately, I know this all to well. Living where I do, water is precious. I know the falls die off quite a bit over the summer in the park. I am just hoping the creeks have some flow.

God Bless,
    David

4. yosemite

yosemite

Jun 6, 2009
    East Bay, CA
    My sister just went to Yosemite last week - Yosemite Falls is still flowing but by the end of August, it is usually dry. I did the hike to North Dome a long time ago and don't recall crossing any creeks. By the end of Augusts, creeks are usually dried up so I would not rely on them for a source of water.

A trail I would highly recommend is the Panorama Trail which goes from the top of Glacier Point to the valley floor. It passes by three falls (Illilouette Falls, Nevada Falls and Verna Falls), is mostly downhill and has beautiful views of the valley floor and Half Dome.

5. That particular hike shouldn't be too bad on water. Being that it is almost all downhill, and at a mid-elevation, you shouldn't have too huge of water concerns. I would think that with the way things are trending this year, the creeks will be pretty dry by that time, with Yosemite Creek being your best shot at a live one. So I'd err on the side of taking quite a bit of water.

I don't know how much water you usually carry, but I find that a full 3L bladder can usually get me through all but the very long and strenuous day-hikes. The weight isn't that significant, esp. compared to the gear a lot of people take backpacking.

I'd love to accompany you, as I've not been to North Dome yet. Alas, I'll be in Hawaii come late August.

6. Yeah, that is what I was really afraid of. I think I will just buy another bladder to stick in the backpack. Again, thanks for the help.

God Bless,
    David

7. Hey David, did you complete this backpack trip?

8. Hey Rod, sorry for the late reply. Saddly, no I did not do this hike. I wanted to but time was running out for me as I was about a month away from transfering to Cali.

God Bless,
    David

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.