Backdrop ceiling track sytem?

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by rocketliv, Sep 7, 2008.

1. rocketliv

rocketliv Guest

I saw an inhome studio once that had some sort of tracking along the ceiling and she had all her backdrops (curtains, not paper) hanging from it. She would just bring around the one she wanted.

Where do I find that? What is the proper term for it?!

And would it be sturdy enough to clip to the seamless paper or would you recommend a backdrop stand instead? I did see those threads so I have some good ideas there. I just like the idea of the tracking to keep things neat and tidy with no extra equipment taking up floor space.

Thanks!

2. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    Liv, I know what you are talking about, but it is definetly not somthing you can hang seamless from, I have an 8 bar electric backdrop system that I use for seamless.

p254056952-4.png

3. rocketliv

rocketliv Guest

Wow, that looks fancy! Hers was just that tracking like you see in hospitals. So you don't think it would hold the paper? Do you have any ideas for something similar but still affordable and from the ceiling? or is a stand my best bet :(

4. rbellphoto

rbellphoto

Jun 8, 2006
    SoCal
    I use a curtain track system for my muslin backdrops and a system similar to Dan's for seamless paper. If you want to PM or Email me, I'll send you the link to the track company and which system I purchased.

5. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    I went the cheepy route for my muslins. I ran a wire between 2 turnbuckles. I only have 3 10 x 20 muslins hanging on it. Please post the link for the track system.

Dan

6. rocketliv

rocketliv Guest

Yes that is what she had. I don't mind using muslins instead of seamless paper but I at least need some seamless paper so I can do floor to head seamless backgrounds for pregnancy shots and children standing. Maybe I need to look into the roller systems instead.

7. rbellphoto

rbellphoto

Jun 8, 2006
    SoCal
    I thought we weren't supposed to post links to commercial sites.
    This is where I bought my system: http://www.shop.curtaintrax.com/main.sc

I use the 4108 flexible track system.
    I bought enough track to make a U on the ceiling so that I could move the backdrops to one side or the other. I currently have 6 backdrops hanging from this system. It's pretty slick and I can switch between 6 different backdrops in a matter of seconds.

My muslins vary in length from 10x12 to 10x20. My ceiling is only 9 ft. high, so there some bunched up muslin sitting on the ground (off to the sides) when not in use. However, since this is the portion of the backdrop that gets spread out flat when in use, it's not a problem.