Backdrop colours/designs

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by ashman, Aug 19, 2008.

1. I just got my first backdrop and its black, was black a good choice? I know its an artistic choice, but having never shot 'studio' type shots, I don't know the pros and cons of using black versus white?

AM

2. rocketliv

rocketliv Guest

I really like the clean crisp look of white but most of my work has actually been done in black.

3. jshurak

jshurak

Aug 14, 2008
    Philadelphia
    I don't have a backdrop, but I would get white, due to the versatility. Gelling a strobe, you can change it to any color you'd like. Actually, I do a lot I'd probably try and get both!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2008
  4. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I prefer grey to black. I can gel it to different colors and make it go black (by not lighting it) when I need to. With a black BG you are not going to light it, so it is generally an easier setup. White BGs have to be lit well and evenly or else they become dirty grey.

5. Me, I like the black. You can gel it, and with a 10 degree grid, close in,
    it will make a nice white hot spot on it if ya want.

It can be as verstile as any other drop, regardless of color.

It is ALL ABOUT HOW YOU LIGHT IT!!!!!!

If ya have AB's they have a backdrop "shovel" which can be used close in
    for a very nice gradient hot spot.

Play with it man, shoot, shoot, shoot!!!!

Post your results, show us what ya get with it!!!

6. Different shades give different results. I've shot on black, white, gray and even blue, yellow and red backdrops; each choice would depend on what I wanted in the end: In short, mood.

7. I use medium light gray very often, have black but very seldom use it. Black shows spots that you will not see until you see the photos. Still, black or gray is a good way to start, both very useful.