Backdrop Paint

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by Little Cub, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Little Cub

Little Cub

Feb 13, 2007
    Vegas, baby!
    Hi Cafe!

I hope I posted this question in the correct portion of the forum. :redface: I have a large piece of canvas and I am getting ready to paint it, however, I have never painted a backdrop before. :eek: I read in a lighting book I purchased that you can use enamel paint. Does this include spray paints and/or airbrushes? Has anyone used spary paint or an airbrush to paint a backdrop? Thanks for your help!

Little Cub

2. I've painted a few backdrops and simply used interior latex paint, slightly watered down. Worked just fine.

Never tried spray paints/enamel/airbrush. I have used a roller, sea sponges, and a regular brush and a combination of all three. It's very easy to do.

3. You can use whatever you want, it's the sequence. Put the water based down first and then any solvent based paints. You can glue things to it, use sparkle, do whatever you like. That's why they call it a "blank canvas" :rolleyes:

4. Little Cub

Little Cub

Feb 13, 2007
    Vegas, baby!
    That is very true. I will be painting it this weekend and will post some pics of how it came out!

Thanks!
    Little Cub