1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

backdrop paper for headshots

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by GKR1, Sep 2, 2008.

1. GKR1

GKR1

Apr 19, 2007
    San Diego
    Hello,

I need to travel light and be able to take headshots. I can not take stands or big rolls of paper. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a place where I can pickup enough paper to tape to a wall and get on with shooting just headshots.

Thanks

2. What types of headshots will you be doing?? Instead of having to carry paper, why not use a plain wall if you can find one, and then gel a strobe/flash to change the color of the wall/background?

3. rbellphoto

rbellphoto

Jun 8, 2006
    SoCal
    Instead of paper, I'd go to a yardage shop and get a short length of white or black muslin. It typically comes in 45", 90" and 108" and you can purchase whatever length you want. Even Walmart carries it.

4. GKR1

GKR1

Apr 19, 2007
    San Diego
    I'll be shooting staff members at a business which will use the pics for their promo catalog. Yes, that is an option but I wanted to have safety net in case I could not find a nice plain wall.

This sounds promising, I'm sure their town has a walmart around. What section of Walmart should I look in to. I really do not have an idea. Sad!! Also, does it come in light gray?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2008
  5. NateS

NateS

Oct 11, 2007
    Missouri
    Get a white and black queen size sheet and keep it folded up in a bag. Then you can drape it to create a temporary background. If you go the strobe/gel route then you could use the white sheet and gel it to whatever color you want. I did this in a recent garage shoot with my son and the black sheet as a background worked great.

6. rbellphoto

rbellphoto

Jun 8, 2006
    SoCal
    Assuming that all Walmarts carry the same merchandise, it should be in the yardage section towards the back. Ask one of the employees for "yardage".

Typically yardage-shop muslin comes in black, pure white and unbleached white (kind of a canvas color.) No gray that I've ever seen.

7. While watching the Stobist DVD's, David Hobby recommended this lightweight item as a backdrop. He did some amazing things with it (changing to from white to black and any other color with gels). It's waterproof, so he even used it in the pool as a backdrop while shooting a portrait of a swimmer!

Anyway, I'm thinking of buying one. It's portable, reasonably priced and large enough for most of what I would like to shoot.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=workaround.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=303021&is=REG

Glenn

8. I use shower curtains for my portraits. Tgey are about 6' X 6' so you have plenty of room for headshots. At $10-$15, they are quite affordable and they will last a long long time. They have a velvety finish that looks pretty good in my pictures.

I know these are not humans but hey, I just wanted to show you my backdrops. :cool: 

I've got a light brown...
    20080706_100813_6691_JPM.

and a dark brown.
    20080706_114317_7059_JPM.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.