1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Backdrop stand

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by ashman, Aug 10, 2008.

1. I'm looking at a backdrop stand on Ebay for around $100 and just wondered how you attach a backdrop to your average backdrop stand? From the picture on ebay, they have a backdrop attached to the stand to show you what it looks like, there look to be rings or clips along the edge of the backdrop connecting the backdrop to the stand, is that how its normally done?

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Most muslin backdrops have a pocket that the support rod passes through. I will often use A-clamps to pull any wrinkles out and make it taut between the two stands.

3. Also, if the back drop has ringlets in it, you can use metal shower curtain rings to cip it on to the cross bar.

4. Matthias

Matthias

Apr 13, 2007
    Central Texas
    A-clamps work for me.

5. What is an A clamp?

6. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
  7. WayneF

WayneF

Apr 3, 2006
    Texas
    Or I like these:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=202726-52800-XC-14PC

The small ones in the set are pretty small, but the two larger sizes work fine. Just throw the muslin over the pole a few inches, and clamp it to be straight. Three are plenty for a heavy 12 foot muslin, but if you ever use any on the sides too (wrinkles), you probably want two sets.

Those cloths with the four inch rod pockets require you to take the rod down and thread it through, which takes time and and they dont always hang straight. These clamps are much faster, and trivial to adjust to hang straight.

8. BrendaC

BrendaC

Sep 24, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I think my niece got mine at wal mart for $5

9. New Silverlake Muslins come with two big clamps...

10. I'd say to forget eBay.

I was shopping around for backdrops and stands, today, and found Steve Kaeser's site. I'm seriously considering this system. Two 15' stands, 9' foot pole, two 9'X15' muslin backdrops and a carry case. All for $129.00. One can always use them with paper, too. They have other sets, as well; some with and some without backdrops. The quality looks to be very good.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2008
  11. Something that really upsets me on the cheap 'package deal' sets are the cheap clamps that are used to hold the elevation on the stands. They slip, tightning causes them to break. I suggest getting good stands for support, having learned the hard (and expensive) way.

12. Coleman lantern stands

I bought two Coleman lantern stands and a local store (and paid too much as they are only $18 each online through Backcounty.com)

They adjust very easily with a postive button lock at various heights. The top piece (lantern hanger) tips up and slides down into the tubing for storage.

They seem to be very sturdy and well made.

I use a thin wall aluminum pipe between them to hold the background. I cut 12" wooden dowels that insert into the pipe at each end. A simple screw in hook allows me to attach them to the lantern hangers.

I should cut my longer aluminum pipe into two shorter pieces joined in the middle with wooden dowel to make the system even more compact for storage/transport.

13. Tpsfoto

Tpsfoto

Jun 15, 2008
    Las Vegas NV
    Many backgrounds have 1 edge that has been sewn over & the ends are open.....the bar slips through.....if not have someone sew a 2-3 inch hem & leave the ends open...

I am using a Photek background set......what is good about this crossbar ...it separates & is compact in a nice case....but when put together it is upto 12 feet wide.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.