Background Support System

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by Mojovase, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Mojovase

Mojovase

Feb 18, 2007
    Maryland
    Am looking to get a ceiling mounted background support system. Check out the link below for the Manfrotto background holder:

Click here

Obviously, I would need to order the Expan Drive Set to attach onto the bracket and keep the roll in the bracket, as seen at this link:

Click here

I spoke to Wayne at Bogen in New Jersey and was told that it couldn't be done, as the rolls would fall off, since there is nothing to prevent it from staying on the hook. Wouldn't the Drive set expand inside the core and keep the core from rolling off the hook? Or will the Drive set also fall off along with the core?

If for some reason that these parts are doable, should I ditch the plastic chains for the metal version? Thanks.

Jon

2. I fixed your URL's for you. When putting in a URL, click on the little icon that looks like a blue globe with binoculars and then paste your URL in and click OK. It will put the link in your message and if you type in something like "Click here" where it is highlighted, it will put that in and hide the URL from view.

3. I think Woody (Czechman01) uses something like this. You might want to PM him.

4. Mojovase

Mojovase

Feb 18, 2007
    Maryland
    Yes. I spoke with Woody and he does have the same system that I had in mind, except that he has it mounted onto the wall.

Too bad that they have to come with those dingy plastic chains and I will have to cough up extra $$$ for the metal chains instead. Somehow, Bogen should get it straight and just sell the metal chains instead of the plastic ones. I can just visualize the plastic chains being cheap and not being pulled smoothly.

Now, this is a no-brainer question, but was wondering if the longer hook should be mounted onto the ceiling facing the back wall or if it should be facing the opposite area. I would think the longer end should be on the top most portion of the bracket but then again, maybe it really doesn't matter. Any ideas?

Thanks.

5. If you look a the way the brackets are made, the bottom of the slot is lower than the opening regardless if it is horizontal or vertical. I'm sitting 6 feet from mine and looking at it, I'd mount it on the ceiling. And yes. the drive set does sit in the slot, but the axel doesn't touch the bracket, it's housed inside the plastic part of the roller. And don't equate plastic to cheap, The units are extremely well engineered and the units are substantial.

I agree with the plastic chains... those are disgraceful. Flimsy junk that breaks easily... but also fixes quickly buy throwing away the broken link and snapping the ends back together. You can adjust the tension on the rolls but you can't loosen the tension to remove enough resistance. I broke mine regularly.

You can only hang the bracket on the wall with the long arm at the bottom, From the ceiling? Toss a coin.

BTW, Amnova makes a knock off unit for like 25% the price of the Bogen units. HERE

6. That's what I'm using and it works perfectly. :wink:

7. Mojovase

Mojovase

Feb 18, 2007
    Maryland
    Amvona Customer Service iffy?

Did a brief check on amvona through reseller.com and they have an iffy record. i suppose if i were to get the background support system for $99, it shouldn't be much of a big deal, as opposed to ordering a $400 equipment.

With that in mind, do you have the plastic chains on your Dynatran system that you got from Amvona? Or did you change them to metal chains? I wonder if the metal chains from Manfrotto would work on the Dynatran system?

8. Mojovase

Mojovase

Feb 18, 2007
    Maryland
    Amvona Service

Just got the brackets from Amvona this afternoon. I must admit that I was impressed with the quality of the brackets. They seem to be rather strong and should hold four background paper rolls without any problems.

The expan drive set does seem to be flimsy, but I will have to check that out tomorrow when I put them up on the ceiling. The nice thing about this particular system is that I saved about $140 and got an extra hook (4 rolls instead of the 3 rolls offered by Bogen).

I was a little amused by the instructions, given that they were made in China. Here is an excerpt of the instructions:

"Stick the backdrop paper or canvas on the metal tube, rotate it and make it to be tube shaped. While using the Backdrop paper, better attach a thin metal tube with proper weight at the end of paper to facilitate the elevation."

Another one:

"Pull the chains in vertical direction, never in other directions or strangle the chains. Otherwise the chains would be discounted."

Funny, ain't it? :tongue:

Can't wait to set up the system tomorrow and will try to get some pictures posted and give you the verdict on the Amvona system.

Cheers,
    Jon

9. What this is referring to is a weight that should be attached to the end of the seamless paper to keep it taught on the roll. You'll need one of THESE for each roll.

10. Yep, plastic chains... just be careful with them and they will be fine. Since the two systems are identical... I'd venture to guess the metal chains from the other would work fine if this was a issue for you.

11. Mojovase

Mojovase

Feb 18, 2007
    Maryland
    Thumbs up to Amvona...

I must say that I am quite impressed with the quality of the background support system, considering I paid only $45 on e-Bay for 4 hooks and the expan drive set, including the weights and chains. Call it luck of the draw when it came time to bidding on the Dynatran system. A comparable system from Bogen would have cost me over $200 for a 3-roll setup.

If it should break in the future, I'll let ya know. But, again for $45, I shouldn't be complaining about anything (including the plastic chains). :biggrin:

Amvona's shipping policy is somewhat expensive and slow. If I had purchased the Manfrotto system from BH Photo, it would have arrived 2 days later, whereas Amvona took about 10 days. Again, different prices...different expectations with respect to shipping time.

Now, it is time for me to take some pictures of my 4-year old triplets in the studio.

My next project probably will be to get tracks for hanging muslins. I've seen people buy them from Ikea and they are reasonable prices. Hospital supply stores carry them too. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Jon