Backlit Baldies

A couple of days ago I posted my best eagle image from last weekend. Other than one pass which that image came from, the rest of the decent range passes that we got were in backlighting situations with bright, clear sunshine (only a photog would complain about sunshine in Alaska:confused:). So I took a stab at processing a couple of the backlit images.

We found two nests to stake out. At one of them nothing was going on because the birds had found a large fish carcass to eat and didn't need to fish. There were a few boats in the area so we figured someone must have cleaned fish and thrown the carcasses overboard (not legal in some states but OK here) and the eagle pair found them. Here's one of them still hanging on to what's left of a carcass.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

We moved to the other nest and the birds were active but as mentioned, most shots involved back lighting in bright sun. Here are a couple more that I took a shot at processing. With the dynamic range of the D4 I was able to bring out the detail on the chest/under wings. Bringing it out too much didn't look natural (almost like HDR grunge). So I tried to show the detail but keep it clearly shadowed as shot. If you're not on a calibrated monitor all bets are off on what they look like. They are really dark on my monitor at work.

Great span on this one but lighting challenged.

This one was a full frame shot (slight crop for comp) at 350mm on the 200-400.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, folks. Someone pointed out to me how blue the shadows on the neck feathers look. So I reworked one of the images that I had time for this AM. Here is the new version. Also left a bit more room around it and cloned out a couple of bright spots in BG.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom