Backlit Nesting Great Egret, and a Question About Flash

I'm just "O.K." with this shot. Done with a Nikon D300, afs 300 f/4 lens at iso 400, f/4, ss 1/500, -1 ev. I have an sb 800 but shot this one with ambient light. Would the flash, if used, blow out the light areas in the background? The bird could definately use some more detail. Thanks for any input.

0313a-1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I like this shot. Your self assessment is fair. Sometimes the light just isn't perfect, but you still got a nice shot. I believe you could fill this using flash without harming the background, but I'm far from an expert.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you can set your SB-800 to High Speed (FP) which will allow you to balance the ambient light with your fill.

This image would have been very nice with some fill flash hitting your subject. However, you have to keep in mind the distance of your subject as well.

PS: There is a strong blue cast on the whites.

Keep them coming!

High Speed FP is not the setting to balance flash with ambient light. That setting is BL. High Speed FP allows you to use a higher shutter speed than the default max sync speed of 1/250th. You can then sync up to 1/8000th I believe...but at a cost. Read up on the inverse square law, and you will see how quickly the flash's working distance gets cut with each stop.

Very interesting shot, and as is, presents a unique view. For sure though some proper fill flash would have brought out some more detail and in this case probably helped clean up the colors on the subject. Thanks for sharing the image.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow...thanks for all the comments/suggestions. 'Glad I saved my sb800 book. I'm interested to see if any fill flash will cancel out some of the backlighting showing through the feathers. I stop by the Alligator Farm every morning on my way to work, so I have no excuse for not practicing.
And the journey continues...

Well to begin with Bobby, I think the image as is is quite interesting and pleasing. You could have probably done a bit more within PP, but using some carefull settings and a BBeamer I'm pretty sure you could have opened up the rest of the egret without losing the sweet light coming in from the back. Myself, I'm not so sure I'd do much more than just a small tweak on fill lighting, I like the mood of this shot.

0313a-1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Bobby.

Here is the image without the blue cast. Not perfect but you get the idea.

Hope this helps!

thanks!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom