Backlit

Discussion in 'People' started by greyflash, Sep 22, 2005.

1. I went to an early morning soccer scrimmage at Dixie College and this image is of an assistant coach and her daughter. I liked the way the image was backlit and especially since there was no fill flash on this image. I gave her my card and told her if she would Email me I would send this to her.

Here is one more of the little girl.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2005
  2. I love them both

The first one is ma favorite and should look quite good in B&W actually.

Excellent job Gordon.

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Very nicely done, Gordon. Great smile by the Mom and the little one cooperated quite well.

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    She's gonna love it! Great capture. Can you tell me how you got the exposure? Did you use any +EV Comp? Matrix metered? How did you get you WB?

5. Thanks a bunch Yves, I will have to try the first image in B&W as you suggest. I appreciate your nice comments.

Thanks Frank

6. Here is the EXIF:
    Flash Used No
    Focal Length 130 mm
    Exposure Time 1/1000 sec
    Aperture f/4.5
    ISO Equivalent 200
    Exposure Bias
    White Balance
    Metering Mode center weighted (2)
    JPEG Quality (6)
    Exposure Program aperture priority (3)

As you will notice I used center weighted metering with the camera on Aperature priority. I had her face the stands which are basically white and this gave me some reflected light. The WB was on auto and I was not too worried about that since I wanted the warm look of the early morning. I had no EV comp.

The image was shot in RAW and I did use DEE to bring up the shadow some and then burnt in the background just a little so that it did not overpower the subjects. I used my D2H with the 70-200mm lens.

Thanks for looking Steve and for your comments as well.

7. Excellent exposure, Gordon. The mom's smile is very attractive and the baby looks cute with the pink «teat» in his mouth.

8. Great shot again. And beautifull backlit you have there. She will love the shot for sure!

Greetings,
    VinceBeus

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Oh yeah! #2 is especially effective, because you can see a little bit of attitude in the child's eyes. That and the background is blurred so nicely! :wink: Great stuff Gordon!

10. Dao, Bjorn and Chris,

Hey guys, I really appreciate your comments. Sometimes shots like this end up getting me business so I look for opportunities to do this and to give away the original image.

11. Gordon, these are beautiful shots, and thanks for the explanation. It's a tutorial of backlit photography without flash.

Thanks a lot.

12. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Hi Greyflash,

You have this unique ability to photograph people with such a loving and natural look. Very Nicely Done !

Regards

RFC

13. Hi Phil and RFC,

What nice sentiments from the two of you, thanks a lot.

14. Angelo

Angelo

Sep 19, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Fabulous Gordon. That first shot is especially good. Great light!!!

15. Thanks a lot Angelo. I hope the lady likes it as well.

16. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I love that first shot Gordon... I suspect that it would look fantastic in B&W too.

17. Great portraits Gordon! Thanks for the tip on doing backlighting without flash. It turned out great, I think. I too would probably try a B&W conversion on the first image. I have to say that I am quite impressed with your ability to draw interesting and real expressions out of the people you photograph, you and Uncle Frank... You must be a sweet talker too, huh? :eek: :biggrin:

18. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    And they say don't shoot into the sun! Ha!

Here's mine:
    [​IMG]
    Click to make bigger

19. Thanks Dave, Phillipe and Gregory,

Shooting into the sun can be fun if you learn to make it your friend. Somehow, with either flash, reflectors, or just natural reflection, you have to get some light into the facial area. Flash is relatively easy in these situations but I like to find a way to do it naturally if I can. I appreciate your nice comments.

Yes, Dave and Phillipe, I will try a B&W conversion when I get a few minutes. I am working on a couple of paid jobs right now.

20. Nice shots Gordon! I have yet to master backlit shots, I think the metering mode might have a lot to do with it. I do find I can go a long way though using Photoshop's Shadow and Highlight tool to boost the light on the model, did you use that?

paul