Backpack Ideas Needed

It may not exist but I am looking for a backpack/camera bag that leans more toward backpack and less toward camera bag. I have seen tons of really great looking bags out there but they all seem to be made to store more and more camera gear but less other stuff. That makes sense since they are actually camera bags but I am trying to find a bag that is more of a backpack that also protects some camera gear.

The bag would be for vacations and would be carrying a D40 with the 18-55 and 55-200, probably a battery charger and lens hood. The non-camera section would carry extra shirt, sunscreen, stuff we may buy or that my daughter collects along the way etc. Like a backpack you would take on vacation. The problem with a regular backpack is that there is no built in padding for camera gear.

Does such an animal exist or is it better to get a small protective case to put into a regular backpack. Quick access isnt really an issue, might come in handy once in a while but not essential. Once we get out and around, the camera would likely be out of the bag but transporting in the car I would want it in the bag and protected.

It seems like I have searched and searched but dont feel like I am very aware of what is available and what is useful in real life.

Thanks for any input.

Kata DR-467. I purchased one for school. It has plenty of room (holds my D300 with grip, 16-85 attached, 70-300 VR, and numerous other stuff). Room for Laptop, etc. It doesn't really look like a camera bag either. B&H still has the free monopod offer going.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/577598-REG/Kata_KT_DR_467_MP_DR_467_Digital_Rucksack_with.html

I've owned 3 backpack camera bags and this is by far the best one I've owned.

That appears to be more what I was hoping to find. It is hard to tell from the pictures how much that top compartment will hold but I guess it is nice to have the laptop capacity too since we usually have one with us on vacation. Plus that seems to be a reasonable price with some extras. I may have to grab one of those.

The Lowepro bags seem nice too but I saw one in a store and it was smaller than it seems in the pictures. I appreciate the suggestions.

The top compartment is currently holding a 50mm 1.8 lens in a case, SB-600, extension tubes, remote cord, with lots of room left.

I own and use exactly the pack you are looking for. Check out the LowePro Rover AW II. Bottom holds all my camera gear and the top section usually will have a coat, lunch, etc. Very comfortable straps, fits on airplanes and when fully loaded usually will not exceed the carry-on weight restrictions. It has mesh side pockets for water bottles, etc. and I don't know what I'd do without it now! Cheers!

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Rover-AW-II,2024,14.htm

Can i offer a suggestion, make sure it has 2 shoulder straps, i spent 2 weeks with a slingshot 200 (not every day) and i thought i was going to need a shoulder reconstruction, every night my right shoulder would keep me awake

Can i offer a suggestion, make sure it has 2 shoulder straps, i spent 2 weeks with a slingshot 200 (not every day) and i thought i was going to need a shoulder reconstruction, every night my right shoulder would keep me awake

Good idea. I had the slingshot 200 as well, it gets heavy.

+1 to the Kata DR467. Just a great bag. The camera stuff you want to take won't fill the bottom so you can use that extra space down there for anything you wish. I use the laptop compartment for clothes, books, just about anything. The top part does hold a lot. The bag itself is high quality and the added rain cover is a nice touch. It holds a ton of stuff without being huge. I don't think anything else is better for a general purpose bag.

Hi,

Lowepro has some great camera backpacks, although most tend to be large. For your one body and two smallish lenses with a few accessories; I would look at Think Tank's Glass Taxi. It's a great smallish backpack with all the features of a larger backpack and then also gives you the option of using it as a shoulder bag and comes with integrated strap to carry a monopod or a tripod and will also take accessory strap-on lens cases and other accessories.

Regards,

+1 to the Kata DR467. Just a great bag. The camera stuff you want to take won't fill the bottom so you can use that extra space down there for anything you wish. I use the laptop compartment for clothes, books, just about anything. The top part does hold a lot. The bag itself is high quality and the added rain cover is a nice touch. It holds a ton of stuff without being huge. I don't think anything else is better for a general purpose bag.

I'm tellin ya. It's what you are looking for, buy it

More on the Kata DR467. I lash my tripod on the outside using the extra D rings. When I need a pack for just a pack and no camera stuff I take out all the dividers in the bottom and voila. I have a small Tamrac shoulder bag for times when I just want a camera and an extra lens. The thing is literally an antique, but solid. I've used it along with the Kata with great success. I usually just say to my wife, "here, hold my camera bag, please." I get a dirty look when I do that, but I can take along tons of stuff for the kids in the Kata. I'm the mule and I've found the Kata to be a wonderfully versatile pack. Even fits under the seat on an airplane as long as you don't stuff it to burst at the seams. My Fastpack is in the basement since I've picked up the Kata. Can't say enough about the quality of Kata. I wouldn't be sharing all this if I didn't think it would exceed your expectations.

wgiles said just buy it...well, pick your color and just buy it! I chose the one with green accents. Got it from BH and I recommend you do the same.

This is so true. I have the Lowepro 200aw, its a sling bag. It wasnt bad with my D80 and two lenses, but now i have a D300 more glass and stuff. I like the bag, it would be a lot better if it were the Two strap bookbag type.

Huh I must be the only one that doesn't have this problem, and I load mine to max capacity D70 with 70-300, D40 body, 18-200, 50mm and 35mm. Spare batteries for each camera, multiple memory cards, filters, flash, rain cover and a notebook and pens.

Granted I'm use to carrying packs that weigh even more when I'm in the field.

More on the Kata DR467. I lash my tripod on the outside using the extra D rings. When I need a pack for just a pack and no camera stuff I take out all the dividers in the bottom and voila. I have a small Tamrac shoulder bag for times when I just want a camera and an extra lens. The thing is literally an antique, but solid. I've used it along with the Kata with great success. I usually just say to my wife, "here, hold my camera bag, please." I get a dirty look when I do that, but I can take along tons of stuff for the kids in the Kata. I'm the mule and I've found the Kata to be a wonderfully versatile pack. Even fits under the seat on an airplane as long as you don't stuff it to burst at the seams. My Fastpack is in the basement since I've picked up the Kata. Can't say enough about the quality of Kata. I wouldn't be sharing all this if I didn't think it would exceed your expectations.

wgiles said just buy it...well, pick your color and just buy it! I chose the one with green accents. Got it from BH and I recommend you do the same.

It sounds like I oughta just buy it!! Thanks mcgriff and wgilles for such descriptive accounts. You have been very helpful. Thanks all for your input. Great forum. Even my goofy questions are answered with good knowledge and respect. Thanks.

I'm very happy with the Lowepro Rover AW-II. It has been to many places around the world but it has become a bit too small for longer trips so I mainly use it now for daytrips at home.

Latest threads

Top Bottom