Backpack suggestion?

Real Name
Dan
Help!

My gear (so far) consists of a D750, 35-70mm AF, and 80-200mm ED AF lens (w/hood). Also the extra battery handle & the charger for the camera battery.

I’d like to get a backpack, or sling pack, that just fits all this, or perhaps one other lens. A sling pack might be nice as that’s how I carry all my backpacks anyway.

ideally something not much larger than all that, and don’t care about lots of added pockets.

Also have no interest in anything super pricey.

my reason for keeping all small is I’ll be doing a lot of shooting via motorcycle trips.

Any suggestions, especially with say Amazon links, are appreciated!

thanks!

Real Name
Ken
Given your criteria, I would do a search at B&H to see what remains after you use their filters based on your criteria. They have one of the best web sites for filtering and their inventory of bags is quite vast. There is also a bag thread on Amin's other website, mu-43.com, that is almost 150 pages ( https://www.mu-43.com/threads/bags-and-more-bags.593/ ), so clearly folks have a lot of opinions about backpacks and bags.

Good luck,

--Ken

Real Name
Dan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Get something that doesn't look like a camera bag.
Bags have changed a lot since my old shoulder LowePro.

I’m kind of looking at these ... Big price difference. Obviously you get what you pay for, but still trying to decide how much photography I’ll do “off the motorcycle”.

Leaning towards this one:

MOSISO Camera Backpack, DSLR/SLR/Mirrorless Photography Camera Bag 15-16 Inch Waterproof Hardshell Case with Tripod Holder&Laptop Compartment Compatible with Canon/Nikon/Sony/DJI Mavic Drone, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZCRWPPV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_qC4MFbY8D3F67?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

My runner up:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...lp37177_protactic_bp_450_aw.html?sts=pi&pim=Y

Lowepro LP36975 Photo Classic BP 300 AW - A High-Capacity DSLR Camera Backpack,Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C4ABCGO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_SB4MFb4B6V2N5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

You mentioned at the outset that you would consider a sling bag. Though that type of bag is not either of your top two considerations at the moment, I wonder if a sling bag would cause problems while riding the motorcycle. I really enjoy using my sling bag but it seems slightly off balance, not enough to bother me while hiking but perhaps enough to be a problem while on your motorcycle. I've never ridden one so I have no idea how important balance is.

Help!

My gear (so far) consists of a D750, 35-70mm AF, and 80-200mm ED AF lens (w/hood). Also the extra battery handle & the charger for the camera battery.

I’d like to get a backpack, or sling pack, that just fits all this, or perhaps one other lens. A sling pack might be nice as that’s how I carry all my backpacks anyway.

ideally something not much larger than all that, and don’t care about lots of added pockets.

Also have no interest in anything super pricey.

my reason for keeping all small is I’ll be doing a lot of shooting via motorcycle trips.

Any suggestions, especially with say Amazon links, are appreciated!

thanks!
I have a Tenba Shootout 32L backpack and it works really well for me. It was recommended to me by a fellow photographer and I love it but, it is a bit on the heavy side. It is also very tough.

In it, I’m carrying a Nikon D7000 with battery grip and 18-200mm lens attached, a D5100 with a 35mm f1.8 attached, a n 18-55 kit lens, a Nikon 70-300 as well as a Godox TT685 flash as well as my cables, filters, extra batteries and chargers. It fits in an airline overhead bin and hasn’t let me down yet.

Sorry, I haven’t checked the Amazon ratings.

***This is a stock photo ***
Tenba-Shootout-32L-Backpack-_1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Real Name
Dan
You mentioned at the outset that you would consider a sling bag. Though that type of bag is not either of your top two considerations at the moment, I wonder if a sling bag would cause problems while riding the motorcycle. I really enjoy using my sling bag but it seems slightly off balance, not enough to bother me while hiking but perhaps enough to be a problem while on your motorcycle. I've never ridden one so I have no idea how important balance is.
I realize I probably should note the bag will get strapped to the bike most of the time, not worn.

And my top two are chosen at this time based upon size.

I have a Tenba Shootout 32L backpack and it works really well for me. It was recommended to me by a fellow photographer and I love it but, it is a bit on the heavy side. It is also very tough.

In it, I’m carrying a Nikon D7000 with battery grip and 18-200mm lens attached, a D5100 with a 35mm f1.8 attached, a n 18-55 kit lens, a Nikon 70-300 as well as a Godox TT685 flash as well as my cables, filters, extra batteries and chargers. It fits in an airline overhead bin and hasn’t let me down yet.

***This is a stock photo ***View attachment 1673109
Just out of curiosity, why do you carry all your gear around? If you need to take ALL your gear on a plane, your probably better of with a hardcase.

Real Name
Dan

***This is a stock photo ***View attachment 1673109
That seems much bigger than my target size...

Just out of curiosity, why do you carry all your gear around? If you need to take ALL your gear on a plane, your probably better of with a hardcase.
A hard case will not fit overhead and I've had bad experiences checking my gear and will not do it again.

Curiosity sated?

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom