backup body

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BourbonCowboy, Jul 19, 2007.

1. I've decided that I need a backup body. I need something that will autofocus with my Tokina 12-24 and 50 1.4. I want something small, lightweight and fun. I'm getting rid of my IR D70 to get this camera. I'm thinking about a D80, but that idea isn't carved in stone. Should I just have my D70 converted back for regular use? Anyone have any suggestions?

2. I always liked my D50 as a backup, At one time I had a D200, D70s and D50, And I never ever used the D70s, The D200 has all the features needed That I liked about the D70, and the D50 has the sweet high ISO performance, and its very small and packable, And I don't get paranoid taking it to bars and clubs and stuff.

I wouldn't recommend a D80 since its basically a dumbed down D200, You might aswell get the smaller, cheaper D50, and have great high ISO performance to boot! (I compared the D200 to the D50 for noise, and in my environment the D50 still is on top, Even after resizing the d200 down to the same resolution)

3. I've thought about the D50. It seems to be a reasonable alternative, but I think I might look for a D70s since I need the higher shutter speed and flash sync speed for sports.

4. The D50 also only uses SD memory cards instead of the CF cards in your D200 so that might be a bit of a pain as well especially if it's a backup camera. Cheers!

5. Yep...thought about that too. I've got a handful of CF cards but no SD cards. Maybe I should reconsider getting the D80/50.

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Having your D70 switched back may be the most economical thing to do.