Backup now!!!! HD crashes do happen!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jerrold, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Jerrold

Jerrold

May 7, 2005
    London, UK
    Hi All,

Just a quick note to remind all to backup regularly, just in case your HD crashes, losing any image is not pleasant!

I had been looking at RAID systems for a while but had considered them too expensive, now with one crash under my belt I may have to reconsider!

Do any people use RAID setups, what type and cost?

Regards,
    ~Jerrold

2. I'm thinking getting a raid setup done. Nothing fancy, just have one HD back up the other. I'm currently dumping everything on one drive but it's making me nervous. I really should be burning it on disc, but with 1gig plus photo sets, DVDs are really expensive.

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hi Guys,

Sorry to hear about your system crashing. I burn all of my images to CDs. Either they are deleted or burned to a CD...no exeptions. I have heard too many scary stories and I hope to never become a statistic. I appreciate you posting your experience for all of us to learn from.

4. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I have my files on both my desktop and laptop. Then, I have two (actually three now, but who's counting) USB external hard drives with the files.

I really like the USB external hard drives as a backup device.

5. K-loader

K-loader

May 31, 2005
    Maryland, USA
    I agree---backup. Your hard drive has the only moving parts in your computer short of the cooling fan---it will fail. Be careful…don’t put all of your eggs (photos) in a RAID basket without doing some homework. Without getting too deep, there are different levels and flavors of RAID. Some are great for safe keeping of valuable files, while some are good only for performance gains. Some levels of RAID actually mirror your data on a second drive, but both drives are controlled by the same controller. I’ve seen cases where the controller was the point of failure damaging both drives! I personally use external USB2 drives and internal drives in separate computers for my backups.

Dan

6. Amen brother. My MAXTOR 40GB is about 4 years old. I just invested in a 160GB HD. It will be here Tuesday!! RAIDS are the way to go!! :D :D :D

7. Consumer RAID systems are absolute junk............. don't waste your time or risk you data with them. Backup to multiple CD/DVD and you will be fine.

JohnG

8. Why are they junk? Not challenging you I just want to know since I have consumer raid - 2x160 striped. :)

9. nfoto

nfoto Guest

You can deploy disks in RAID configurations to get improved performance (RAID 0, striping), better security (RAID 1, mirroring), or combinations thereof (typically RAID 5, distributed parity). RAID 0 may be OK for scratch disks, but personally I wouldn't bother at all with a "0" system since RAID 1 is much more reliable and also has equal or better performance than single disks. I run RAID 1 as basic setup for the operating system and scratch disks on all my stationary PCs, and two big RAID 5 systems as the backbone repository for images (2 TB).

I've had about 20 disk crashes the last 5 years and have yet to lose an image because of these incidents. Hard disks *do* crash.

10. I've had bad luck with consumer RAID and I've also heard from several IT gurus that they suck. Use at your own risk. Leo Laport (sp?) also claims consumer RAID is no good. If you want RAID you need to pay for 'server quality' HW. This will cost you 2-3X the consumer level junk.

The safest cheap backup is to multiple DVD disks.

JohnG

11. Erm.....RAID aside, I'm wondering what brands of external drives are reputable.
    I've just heard a few horror stories of Maxtor drives failing.
    The corner or my desk has an almost-full 40GB Maxtor drive that contains my backup photos/files. Thankfully most are already on DVD, but I need more space and I don't want to risk it.
    I saw in the OTG storage thread the link to supergooddeal.com, and they have some nice external drive cases with fans firewire etc. and I don't have a clue what kind of hard drive goes in there. They have a version that you choose your drive but they are a mix of WD, Maxtor, one seagate and a Hitachi.
    I've emailed them about it but I don't know what brands are reputable and what type to get.

12. MTBF's are pretty much the same across the industry.

Standard 3.5" HD's go in the external drive cases.

JohnG