Backup software options?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by jemaerca, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Hello there. Looking for simple backup software for my home network.

My setup:
    - two desktops and two notebooks
    - LaCie 500GB network accessible drive (ethernet connection)
    - Fantom USB drive attached to LaCie drive and acts as backup drive

I currently use LaCie's backup software but looking for an improvement. Here's what I'm looking for:
    - simple interface
    - ability to backup NAS drive to attached USB drive
    - ability to program daily backups
    - will back-up only new / revised files
    - inexpensive

Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. I use ChronoSync, and it works for me.

Paul.

3. Paul, thanks for the response. I should have been clearer - looking for a solution for a PC, not a Mac. Thanks!

4. Here is what I use, Fileback PC. I back up from 2 PC's to multiple USB drives as well as a NAS Raid unit. I have used this for several years now, no complaints yet, and it has saved my butt a couple of times. What I like about this product is that it replicates your file system, so you can navigate without using the software, just Explorer.

Take a look, let me know what you think.

5. I have been using Norton Ghost and it has worked perfectly. I have a Raid 0 setup and it has no problems with it. And, yes I have an image on two external USB/firewire HD's. You can do manual backups or scheduled ones.

Nancy

6. Thanks for the suggestions; I will check them out.

7. Takeda

Takeda

Jun 9, 2006
    Durham, NC
    I use Apricorn Ez Gig II, and it works well!!

8. technick

technick

Jun 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I use a program called SyncBack, its from the company 2BrightSparks. Its freeware and pretty advanced. This program has a command line interface to run all sorts of tasks automatically. In the past I have setup nnCronLite to run backups automatically across my network.

How do you handle your offsite backups?

9. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005

+1 for syncback!

This program is really great. I use it at home to sync my external drives to my main photo drives.

I have the commercial version for a tertiary backup solution for a project at my office as well. It is extremely versatile and the free version works great too. Plus, its extremely fast on scanning the source and destination drives prior to syncing.

Regards,

10. Although you may not wish to wait, and it may be too much for your needs, this fall the major hardware companies and MS will be bringing out Windows Home Server. I have been testing it and it's simply amazing. Essentially performs like RAID or other fail-safe technologies, but all invisible to the user. Backs up desktops and itself to the extent you can do a "bare metal" restore after a failure. (I've done this in testing and it works perfectly.)

Has some other nice features such as secure external web access and so on. It's a killer app and device. And so easy to use it's designed to function perfectly without a monitor, keyboard or mouse!!

Nothing firm on pricing, but rumor places it at $1,000 or so for the whole thing. You'll also be able to just get the software and reuse an old "box" as well for a lot less.

Cheers!!

Ken

11. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    robocopy is free from Microsoft and does what you want except it does not have a scheduler. You have to use the Windows scheduler to schedule it yourself. I used it when I was a Windows user to sync a number of 300GB disk drives.

12. Went with SyncBack and so far, so good. Thanks for all the input folks!