Backups are good

Back in the day, once I discovered drive imaging, I would restore an image for any number of reasons. Among these were the Inexplicably Stupid Things Windows would occasionally do: some loss of functionality, sudden system weirdness, sometimes downright bizarre behavior. Most of that was back in the dark Win 9x days. I haven't needed to resort to an IST image restore in a long time. Until today.

For reasons still unknown, Windows decided it didn't like being connected to the internet. I checked my settings, flushed my DNS cache, changed DNS servers, rebooted my modem and router, and more. Windows was not impressed. I finally discovered that if I completely disabled the Win firewall, then all was good. Except, you know, the running with no firewall thing. So I restored an image from the first week of July and now, after less than 10 minutes, all is back to normal.

There was a time when I would have pursued this gremlin until I caught it, choked the life out of it and buried it in an unmarked grave, all the while thinking it was fun. Today, I see it as aggravation I don't need and probably will live longer without.

Real Name
Dan
There was a time when I would have pursued this gremlin until I caught it, choked the life out of it and buried it in an unmarked grave, all the while thinking it was fun. Today, I see it as aggravation I don't need and probably will live longer without.
Sounds familiar. I used to love to troubleshoot problems. Now I just want the toaster and coffeemaker to reliably produce toast and coffee. I don't care how they work. I just want my breakfast.

There were some major internet outages today, it has been on the news. (DNS issues again.)
Perhaps it wasn't your PC at all, and it just happened to start working during your investigations.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57929544
Part of my troubleshooting involved testing connectivity with another computer, which worked normally. Reverting to my main computer, no joy--still incommunicado until the image restore. But thanks for mentioning it.

Real Name
Don Roy
Do you do a disk clone or disk image?
I do a disk image. It's a C: drive 'full' backup once a week, then an incremental for the next 6 days. I keep two old backups, so I can restore to any morning in the past 15-21 days. I image my D: data drive too, but it's bigger and takes longer, so I only do a full once every 14 days, and keep one full group prior to that, so 15-28 days are available to restore.

I do a disk image. It's a C: drive 'full' backup once a week, then an incremental for the next 6 days. I keep two old backups, so I can restore to any morning in the past 15-21 days. I image my D: data drive too, but it's bigger and takes longer, so I only do a full once every 14 days, and keep one full group prior to that, so 15-28 days are available to restore.

The Acronins site says the image is compressed, but not by how much.
I know this varies by the file, but do you have an approximation, that I can use for planning.

I use iDrive, but I guess I'm old fashioned, I like my backup where I can hold it. Plus moving that much data through the internet is SLOW, compared to using an external HD.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I know this varies by the file, but do you have an approximation, that I can use for planning.
At this moment my system drive which has just Win 10 and software on it, no personal data, is using 247GB.
Its latest backup image (using Macrium Free with default options) is 145GB. That is 58% of the original.
I think 60% is typical.
I expect Acronis will be similar.
I recommend Macrium, I dumped Acronis some years ago. Macrium also has the advantage of being free.

Last edited:
Real Name
Don Roy

I use iDrive, but I guess I'm old fashioned, I like my backup where I can hold it. Plus moving that much data through the internet is SLOW, compared to using an external HD.
A full backup of my 170GB C: drive ends up with a 120GB Acronis file.

I tried backing up to a cloud place a few years ago. The rub comes when your system craps out and you need to restore. I had to retrieve 2TB of cloud data once. It tool 3 days and Xfinity went nuts because of data caps, unmentioned until this. They flagged me as the equivalent of a sex offender, tagged for life. I canceled and went with Comcast Business. You'd be doing yourself a big favor by keeping the backups local.

I have the Acronis 'perpetual' license, not the annual fee type they push. I keep a version for 3-6 years, usually until I need to upgrade for some new compatibility reason.

[PS: 'ac12'... do you like the 'Line of Duty' TV show?]

A full backup of my 170GB C: drive ends up with a 120GB Acronis file.

I tried backing up to a cloud place a few years ago. The rub comes when your system craps out and you need to restore. I had to retrieve 2TB of cloud data once. It tool 3 days and Xfinity went nuts because of data caps, unmentioned until this. They flagged me as the equivalent of a sex offender, tagged for life. I canceled and went with Comcast Business. You'd be doing yourself a big favor by keeping the backups local.

I have the Acronis 'perpetual' license, not the annual fee type they push. I keep a version for 3-6 years, usually until I need to upgrade for some new compatibility reason.

[PS: 'ac12'... do you like the 'Line of Duty' TV show?]

Thanks for the real world compression info.

Got to go look at the Acronis site again, I was looking for multi year pricing. Perpetual sound interesting.

Nope, never seen "line of duty."

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom