1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Backyard Birds

Discussion in 'Birds' started by lbasden, Aug 7, 2009.

1. During the summer the only birds feeding in my backyard are feeding naturally (no bird feeders during the summer). Most of these are small birds like the Blue-gray Gnatcatcher below. They are hyperactive and do not sit still to pose for pictures. While I am working to get better pictures of these small birds, I thought that I would share this one.

D200, 300mm f4 AFS, 1.7 TC, 1/400, f8

3797667217_732c049d24_o.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

While I have labeled this as a female, it could just as easily be a male in non-breeding plumage. Are there any confirmation attributes that could specify which it is?

2. okcandids

okcandids

Jan 12, 2008
    Southern NH
    Is this a large crop, Larry? Seems a touch grainy for ISO280 (if I read the EXIF correctly). Nice shot nonetheless.

3. Jason

Jason

Aug 15, 2008
    St. Louis, MO
    Larry...you have done better than me on this species. Soon as I would get them in my viewfinder, they would fly off. Very hyper-active species if you ask me.

Summy can be slow for sure...our BYB's are thinned out too.

4. You are correct Oren, this is a rather large crop. I also believe that I have lost some IQ with the 300/1.7TCE combination. I have been working on this combination specifically to see if I can make it happen. Of course, getting much closer than I did on this shot would help :smile:.

Thanks for looking Jason. I am determined to get something better but couldn't agree with you more about the hyperactivity :eek: .

I got a chance to find another group of 4 or 5 gnatcatchers later in the evening yesterday. Here is another try (slightly less of a crop).

D200, 300mm, 1.4TC, 1/250, f7.1
    3800375979_db19acb8c0_o.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.