Backyard Birds

During the summer the only birds feeding in my backyard are feeding naturally (no bird feeders during the summer). Most of these are small birds like the Blue-gray Gnatcatcher below. They are hyperactive and do not sit still to pose for pictures. While I am working to get better pictures of these small birds, I thought that I would share this one.

D200, 300mm f4 AFS, 1.7 TC, 1/400, f8

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

While I have labeled this as a female, it could just as easily be a male in non-breeding plumage. Are there any confirmation attributes that could specify which it is?

Is this a large crop, Larry? Seems a touch grainy for ISO280 (if I read the EXIF correctly). Nice shot nonetheless.

Larry...you have done better than me on this species. Soon as I would get them in my viewfinder, they would fly off. Very hyper-active species if you ask me.

Summy can be slow for sure...our BYB's are thinned out too.

Is this a large crop, Larry? Seems a touch grainy for ISO280 (if I read the EXIF correctly). Nice shot nonetheless.
You are correct Oren, this is a rather large crop. I also believe that I have lost some IQ with the 300/1.7TCE combination. I have been working on this combination specifically to see if I can make it happen. Of course, getting much closer than I did on this shot would help :smile:.

Larry...you have done better than me on this species. Soon as I would get them in my viewfinder, they would fly off. Very hyper-active species if you ask me.

Summy can be slow for sure...our BYB's are thinned out too.
Thanks for looking Jason. I am determined to get something better but couldn't agree with you more about the hyperactivity :eek:.

I got a chance to find another group of 4 or 5 gnatcatchers later in the evening yesterday. Here is another try (slightly less of a crop).

D200, 300mm, 1.4TC, 1/250, f7.1
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom