Backyard family portrait

Discussion in 'People' started by avyoung, Aug 25, 2008.

1. avyoung

avyoung

Dec 17, 2007
    Canada
    Hi everyone,

My first picture using a 43" white shoot through umbrella (strobist inspired). We were enjoying the wine too much and headed out to the yard to take a photo of the family a wee late/dark. I had to boost the shadows more than I would have liked. RAW file developed with CS3 using the new portrait mode. Reduced the shiny skin with clone stamp tool in photoshop; noise ninja plugin to sharpen.

2795506852_fb94bc5f5b_b.jpg

I'm pleased with the shot (was the first one--the pictures that followed just didn't get the expressions I liked, but I got the flash/ambient exposure balance better). I only used a main light; two sb800 powering the white shoot through umbrella camera left high. Ideas of fill and backlight swirled in my mind, but I wanted to make it short and simple for everyone...so we could get back to the wine! :)
    Suggestions/critiques welcome.

I have been toying with the idea of getting second light stand; super clamp and umbrella...but I am only a weekend warrior. Do you guys/gals crave more lighting equipment too? What is a good balance to stop amassing photographic stuff?

2. You made a nice phoro here, Alan. If you did not clone any reflections from the eyeglasses, you are a champ in lighting. Very nice photo.

3. avyoung

avyoung

Dec 17, 2007
    Canada
    Glasses? What glasses?

Thanks for your comment Charles. I did not think about reflection problems with the glasses (amateur bliss). Funny my sister-in-law I emailed the picture to, said the picture looked like a Lenscrafter's advertisement!

I did not alter any of the eye glasses in the photo. Now that you had me thinking about it, I checked at 100% and could see the reflection of the SB900 that I had as an on-camera master flash (set to zero output btw), in some of their glasses and eyes, and only a tiny bit of the umbrella.

I'll have to think about glasses reflections in future shots (any reflections for that matter). Thanks for reminding me.