Backyard family portrait

Discussion in 'People' started by avyoung, Aug 25, 2008.

1. avyoung

avyoung

Dec 17, 2007
    Canada
    Hi everyone,

My first picture using a 43" white shoot through umbrella (strobist inspired). We were enjoying the wine too much and headed out to the yard to take a photo of the family a wee late/dark. I had to boost the shadows more than I would have liked. RAW file developed with CS3 using the new portrait mode. Reduced the shiny skin with clone stamp tool in photoshop; noise ninja plugin to sharpen.

2795506852_fb94bc5f5b_b.

I'm pleased with the shot (was the first one--the pictures that followed just didn't get the expressions I liked, but I got the flash/ambient exposure balance better). I only used a main light; two sb800 powering the white shoot through umbrella camera left high. Ideas of fill and backlight swirled in my mind, but I wanted to make it short and simple for everyone...so we could get back to the wine! :) 
    Suggestions/critiques welcome.

I have been toying with the idea of getting second light stand; super clamp and umbrella...but I am only a weekend warrior. Do you guys/gals crave more lighting equipment too? What is a good balance to stop amassing photographic stuff?

2. You made a nice phoro here, Alan. If you did not clone any reflections from the eyeglasses, you are a champ in lighting. Very nice photo.

3. avyoung

avyoung

Dec 17, 2007
    Canada
    Glasses? What glasses?

Thanks for your comment Charles. I did not think about reflection problems with the glasses (amateur bliss). Funny my sister-in-law I emailed the picture to, said the picture looked like a Lenscrafter's advertisement!

I did not alter any of the eye glasses in the photo. Now that you had me thinking about it, I checked at 100% and could see the reflection of the SB900 that I had as an on-camera master flash (set to zero output btw), in some of their glasses and eyes, and only a tiny bit of the umbrella.

I'll have to think about glasses reflections in future shots (any reflections for that matter). Thanks for reminding me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.