Backyard Flicker

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Retief, Nov 24, 2005.

1. After I got home from the Hierman Reserve this morning, I was processing the Swan images when my wife called me and said "Look in the backyard". In the last month or so we have had a pair of Northern Flickers showing up every couple of days, never together, but one at a time. So I grabbed the D70, 70-200 and TC-17E, not enough time to set up the D2H and the tripod, and headed downstairs. Didn't notice the D70 was on "P", duh, and to make matters worse I had to shoot through a window. I tried to slowly open the door and screen, the bird let me get the door open, but as soon as the screen moved it was "Bye-Bye-Birdie". So, here is what I saw on my fence this AM:

Northern Flicker, Male:
    [​IMG]

What is quite amazing to me is what a great job Photoshop Shadows and Highlights did in clearing up the "fog" from shooting through the window. Not as good as it would have been had I gotten the screen door open, but not horrible either. This now puts us up to, I think, 13 species of birds in our backyard, including 2 species of woodpecker, and I just hope they leave our house alone :wink:

2. very good capture Bill.
    it is cool to see variety close to home and try and capture the image.
    Dave