Backyard Visitors

My wife planted a Butterfly bush in our yard, which has really taken off. It attracts all manner of visitors, so I thought I would try to capture a couple of them while I had a few free moments the other day. Probably not the best time to try. The sunlight was bright, direct and harsh; the wind was blowing and variable; the subjects were uncooperative. Oh, and the camera was hand-held, because I didn't think I'd made things difficult enough. :biggrin:

I'm not used to trying macro (or near macro?) photography, and struggled to find a combination of f/stop, ISO and shutter speed that would freeze everything and still provide enough dof. I will have to practice this some more.

1. Hummingbird Moth. This guy was quite the challenge - really made me appreciate some of the shots you guys make.

Hummingbird Moth by frdjohns, on Flickr

2. Bee? Not really sure what this guy was. It was larger and had more black than the normal honey bees that I see around here.

Bee by frdjohns, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

Beautiful. I have most days of the year bees outside my window, and have yet to shoot a bee as good as your bee in no.2

Seeing photos like yours inspires me to keep on trying.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi Fred !

Nice pics of small critters ! I particularly like the Hummingbird Moth... I happened to have shot a serie of images of one, last year, and noticed that they seem to LOVE only these flowers !

Some images tips about camera and flash settings I used to shoot it at https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=344504 !

:smile:
J-P.
Thanks JP! I enjoyed looking at your images and reading about your attempts as well.

There nice quality, the moth is very unpredictable, you did well.
Thank you Frank.

Beautiful. I have most days of the year bees outside my window, and have yet to shoot a bee as good as your bee in no.2

Seeing photos like yours inspires me to keep on trying.
Thank you for the very kind words Juan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom