1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Backyard Wars

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Uncle Frank, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Hummingbirds must be the most selfish creatures with wings. They're turned my backyard into a war zone. I wandered out with my 70-300VR to capture today's action.

It started out peacefully enough... a solitary hummer sipping sweet water.
    101904710.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

But a competitor was watching, and swooped in claim the feeder.
    View attachment 241148

The first bird headed for the hills...
    View attachment 241149

and the new arrival took his place.
    View attachment 241150

Even after drinking... ever vigilant.
    View attachment 241151

2. yamo

yamo

Jun 28, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Frank,

Great shots... er, they're not selfish, just territorial... :wink:

I'll quite partial to the third shot.

Cheers,

-Yamo-

3. I agree, very nice shots. I have not seen much in the way of hummingbird wars yet. But I have not been sitting in wait with my camera. They sure can be a riot. Once I saw two females at the same feeder. I assumed mother and daughter.

4. Thanks for the feedback, folks. I've been fiddling with one of the pictures. I had cropped it pretty deeply, but decided the background was too lovely to delete.

original.gif

5. Cool shots. Hummer wars are serious business. I've had to enter into combat myself to get them to share the feeder (and get my shots!).

6. I've been challanged a few times. The males will fly right up to my face, hove, and screech at me for intruding on their feeder - lol. If I focus fast enough, it makes for my favorite, dramatic hummingbird pose.

original.gif

It's awfully cheeky of them, considering they weigh just slightly little more than a single copper penny.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.