Bad day at Viera?

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Kevin Scott, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Well, it was about the worst weather I've had to shoot in at Viera but I managed to squeek out some keepers. Got there before everyone else while the fog was still thick. It was nice and still there. The sun never did come out so ISOs were very high...between 320 and 800. Tried to use the tripod but shot the usual handheld combo...300/f4 AFS and 1.7tc. Here are the results:

What the heck are you doing down there? [1/250 f6.7 ISO400]
    [​IMG]

Of course the ubiquitous Green Heron [1/125 f8 ISO320]
    [​IMG]

Hooded Mergansers, which I've never seen there before but there were lots of them now. [1/180 f6.7 ISO400]
    [​IMG]

Even got a shot of one inflight [1/250 f6.7 ISO400]
    [​IMG]

These are of the same hawk that Steve and Harris posted
    [1/500 f8 ISO320]
    [​IMG]

[1/60 f6.7 ISO320 on tripod]
    [​IMG]

We broke for lunch and everyone went their way. I figured I'd go back to Viera for a once around the block. Glad I did. On the way to lunch we stopped to shoot a Caracara (Harris posted his shot). When I got back to "The Tree", there was one sitting up there posing. [1/400 f6.7 ISO640]
    [​IMG]

He took off then circled around [1/640 f6.7 ISO640]
    [​IMG]

I left Viera and decided to run through Click Pond. I saw an interesting bird flying but didn't know what it was. I couldn't ever catch up to him but just before I left, I spotted this guy sitting on a post. Looks like he just ate as he has blood on his foot. This was probably the best shot of the day!
    [1/100 f7.1 ISO500 handheld]
    [​IMG]

I don't own any noise reduction software so these are pretty much as shot as far as noise goes. I'm not the most accurate when it comes to exposure but was pretty well pleased with these. I also didn't get a chance to really put the focus tracking to test but felt it did much better since the firmware upgrade compared to before. I'm anxious to give it a workout on a clear day now!

2. Wow Kevin what a great variety. It looks like the noise issue is pretty darn good. I have been shooting a lot at ISOs between 560 and 800. If the exposure is good then the noise is not bad. Nice shooting in such bad light.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice series Kevin, especially with the overcast and foggy weather. You guys (and gals) in FL are killing me with the variety and quantity of targets that you encounter. I can't wait to come back.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent Kevin. Good show :>))

Sure was fun !!!!!

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    ok, how do I delete my shots!?

because these are clearly heads and shoulders (& feet & wings &...) better than the comparative junk I came up with! Nice shots, all of them Kev! Look forward to next time, and actually shooting next to you for more than 2 mins at a time! Hey, even a thick skulled guy like me could learn something!

6. Great great series considerign the lighting conditions, very well done they are excellent

7. In spite of the weather you have come up with a really nice series of shots. You can tell that the birds have kind of hunkered down in defference to the blustery weather. Way to go.

8. Great captures Kevin. Shows what a little perseverence and determination can accomplish. Don't know about all this weather whining :wink: I think the weather gives your photos some character, rather than just some more FL sun... sor tof like up here on Vancouver Island :biggrin:

9. bfjr

bfjr Guest

really nice series.
    the greenie and the last hawk shot are Sweet

10. Kevin, it looks as though you know how to deal with overcast weather, this is a great series.

Louie

11. I guess we do get spoiled here with perpetual sunshine. It did prove to be a good exercise to have to venture into unknown territory. Felt privileged to come out with a few keepers. Thanks for all the kind words everyone. Now just waiting for the sun to come out again!

12. great series Kevin. I booted many as they werent that good. You did great.

See you for the upcoming shoot.