Bad lighting but some good poses...

Discussion in 'People' started by ScottR, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Well my first attempt at setting up some lighting didn't work but my son enjoyed the photo shot anyway...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Talk about multiple personalities :twisted:

By the way all images taken with the Tamron 90mm 2.8 at f11 and 1/60 sec.

2. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Cute poses, can you describe your lighting?

Also, why f11? That seems to be stopped down much more than most ppl use. The kid's cute as heck in these poses!

3. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Scott,

Hope you dont mind me saying this but the composition of the pics is kind of off-puttting.

No offence but the rule of thirds might be of interest.

Just my personal feeling.

I'm close to investing in some studio gear too - I've been putting it off by using outdoor settings as much as possible.

What sort of studio kit did you get ?

4. Why f11? Well I guess my thoughts are that I am shooting on a tripod and I manually prefocus so I won't miss an expression and the f11 will give me the extra DOF to not worry about a little movement forward or backward. I actually have three kids and am exparementing with a "studio" to avoid the portrait places at the mall. :roll:

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Scott, the lighting may not be good in your estimation, but I really enjoyed the images. Great facial expressions...very candid...I love the innocence of a child. Really great job.

6. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    For a head-and-shoulders portrait the only thing rule of thirds would really be useful for is putting the eyes at the upper 1/3 boundary. Shooting this type of shot off-center woudln't make much sense IMHO. These shots would be fine once croppped to 8x10.

I think f/11 is fine as long as you have enough strobe/flash light to get a proper exposure. In fact stopping down gives you more control over the light because ambient light is pretty much taken out of play. Of course that also means that your lighting setup is more critical because you can't depend on ambient light to fill things in. It looks like you had the main off to the side and fairly low, with fill coming from the front near the camera? The problem IMHO is that the shadows don't look natural because they're coming from the low main, particularly the shadows on the face cast by the shoulder. I think you can make this setup work better by moving the main higher up so that the shadows are more natural looking. Just MHO, I'm not expert so take it for what it's worth.

PS, you have a cute son who appears to be a more than willing participant, I'm sure you'll be able to get a lot of great shots and have fun in the process.

Regards,

7. Thanks all,

First let me say no offense. I certainly know of and use the rule of thirds all the time. As I tried to say in the first post. These images where just cute. I am using my oldest son as a model to get my lighting correct before I try and do a real photo shoot with all three kids. What I did wrong with these shots as far as lighting was too much in the wrong place. I was using a SB80 above and to the right through an umbrella at full strength. Above and to the left at about half strength I had a SB-28 shooting through an umbrella. From each side I had a Morris AC slave flooding the background, these where providing way too much light on the background and because of their position they flooded his face from below.

What I have "discovered" as my correct lighting (with my equipment and space :wink: ) The SB-28 at full strength and one of the AC slaves through the umbrellas (as main and fill) and the second AC slave directly behind my subject aimed at the backdrop to eliminate shadows. I was pleased with this lighting but my model was an ugly sleep deprived father of three :oops: (can you say self-portrait) so I didn't save the images.

Thanks again for the feedback.

8. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Scott

Thanks - I was thinking these had been taken with strobes rather than flash heads. Very interesting possibilities with flashes.

Thanks for the reply too.

9. Those are great Scott!! The first shot is my favorite!! :D :D :D

10. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    all technicalities aside

As I have no great technical skills......

These are really fun pictures that you will treasure for a long time. They really show the great personality and self-confidence of your son.

He certainly isn't afraid of the camera!!!!!