Bad Mix? Safe to Use without Tripod?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by ronf100, May 11, 2007.

1. Is this lens safe to use with this body? Recently, while visiting a friend, I discovered that he bought a new 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor for his D70s. It is quite heavy and I wonder if that lens is safe to use without a tripod with that body. It's an odd match and I never found out why he bought that lens and not, say, the 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor, which I think, while still a bit of a mismatch cost wise, would be a better match for that body.

2. I would think that a lens that big would put a lot of stress on the lens mount. I would use a monopod with that thing.

3. I've carried mine quite a bit attached to a D70 - no problems.
    When walking I'll often hook a finger under the lens shade to offer a bit of support.
    With my D200 and D2x I don't even give it a second thought and have never had a problem.

Don

4. As for me when ever I'm out with my 70-200 VR, a monopod is a must for me. I can handheld it but honestly I prefer to use it on a monopod. It feels much easier to shoot with 1. But that is just me :rolleyes:

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I don't think it is a prob

6. My first DSLR was the D70, my second lens was 70-200VR
    Never had a problem, great lens.

When carrying it I always held it by the lens.
    When using a tripod or monopod I attach it to the lens.

I also have the 18-200VR and it is now permantly attached to the D70, good match.

7. The 70-200vr is a terrific lens and even on a D70 body will shine. It was never a problem on my d70, or any other body.
    It depends on what they are going to do with the lens- but I have a night football game to shoot tonight and the 70-200 vr is going with me, the 18-200 is staying at home.
    gary

8. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I have the Sigma 70-200 EX DG HSM and when i use it, I hold the lens imn one hand actually supporting the weight with my left hand. The Sigma's focus ring spins freely, so even if I am holding the ring, I don't interfere with AF.

9. I use the 70-200VR on a D50 without a problem. I usually hold it under the lens or by the lens foot, not the body anyway.

10. tasnim_fahim

tasnim_fahim

Oct 2, 2006
    riyadh
    I still use it with my D70s and carry it holding the lens. I generally use
    a tripod attached to the lens..that is because of my extreme hand shake.

There should be no problem with this combination.

Regards

11. I have used mine with D200 hand held.

No problems other than its a pretty heavy lens and after a few hours my arms ache.

12. It's not a problem. Just never hold the camera without holding the lens.

When you think about it, the lighter the body the less stress when using such a lens.

What would be more stressful is something like the 28-70 f/2.8. This does not have a tripod foot, and so if you put this combination on a tripod, you would need to attach the camera to the head, and all the weight of the lens would be on the mount.

13. For quite awhile I used a 70-200mm VR with a D70 exclusively. I always have had the habit of holding lenses with a longer focal length iso holding the camera or have the whole weight on a strap. That way there's no stress on the mount. Even with a D2X, I hold the lens and not the camera. I use this lens either on a monopod or handheld. So far no problems.