Bad news and kudos to Nikon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gilbert, Jun 14, 2005.

1. gilbert

gilbert

May 6, 2005
    So. CA
    On the evening before my family was returning from a 4-day vacation, the light meter on my 15-month old D70 went kapoot. Everything was about 3-4 stops overexposed, in any mode (M, P, S, A). Same thing with all lenses. I checked that exposure compensation was OFF. The only way to shoot was via histogram (shoot in manual mode, check the histogram, and adjust the aperture/shutter speed). Fortunately I wasn't going to take any more vacation photos anyways.

I went to my trusty local photo shop where I bought the camera. I was hoping that they would tell me that I was doing somthing obviously stupid, but unfortunately they confirmed that my meter was out of whack. They told me to expect roughly a $300 bill to repair it.

I went to the Nikon Service Center in Torrance, CA at lunchtime today and dropped off the camera. I explained the problem and although I didn't ask, the nice woman behind the counter said that they would "comp" the repair even though the camera was out of warranty by three months. Yay!! Kudos to Nikon!! Even though I doubt I will ever switch over to the grey lens side (Canon) due to my investment in Nikon glass, this gesture will go a long way for me.

They estimated a 7-10 day turnaround, but to tell you the truth, I'm not too bummed out. This repair will give me a good reason to shoot some more B&W and slide film with my F100...

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    To bad about your metering. First time I've heard this about the D70. I agree that Nikon is to be commended for offering to fix it for free, but I'd be a tad miffed that it even happened if it were me (as I'm sure you were).

Hope you get it back in full working condition.

3. Glad they stepped up to the plate... good for you.