Bad Night shots, need advice on ISO (and other settings)

So last thursday I went out to shoot a few pics of my friends car, the lighting wasn't too great so I decided to play with the ISO settings, sadly my pictures came out terrible. Can anyone explain what settings I should have used, and why the pictures turned out so terrible? I think the ISO settings were like 100, 200 (depending on the picture)

DSC_0145.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_0144.jpg

DSC_0143.jpg

DSC_0138.jpg

DSC_0133.jpg

DSC_0132.jpg

DSC_0130.jpg

OK, I'll bite. It would appear that you're not using a tripod, correct? That's your first mistake. A tripod is a must for long exposure shots. Keep the ISO low and keep the camera steady on a tripod. Try 'em again and see how you do.

Base ISO, tripod, remote shutter, manual mode, AF-A and S for stationary, F8 for good DOF, expirement with shutter speed until exposure is spot on.

Make sure noise reduction is set to normal and long exposure noise reduction is turned on.

Make sure d-lighting is off as it adds more noise.

Color mode is your choice, but I shoot vivid + saturation on night stuff.

GL!

OK, I'll bite. It would appear that you're not using a tripod, correct? That's your first mistake. A tripod is a must for long exposure shots. Keep the ISO low and keep the camera steady on a tripod. Try 'em again and see how you do.

yeah I wasn't using a tri-pod, I just tried some shots out last night, with a tri-pod and low ISO they came out a lot better, I'll post them up in a bit.

Base ISO, tripod, remote shutter, manual mode, AF-A and S for stationary, F8 for good DOF, expirement with shutter speed until exposure is spot on.

Make sure noise reduction is set to normal and long exposure noise reduction is turned on.

Make sure d-lighting is off as it adds more noise.

Color mode is your choice, but I shoot vivid + saturation on night stuff.

GL!

woah a lot of stuff there, I have to look into all of that. Also just wondering should I change my apeture?

Also try spot metering the car

what does this mean?

also here's a few pics I took last night with my local car club. I set the ISO to 100 and used a tri-pod.

let me know what you guys think, let me know what things I could have done to make the pictures even better.

4836236069_dc98b52eb9_b.jpg

4836847352_2834879659_b.jpg

4836274761_753ba94a24_b.jpg

4836380121_e5c6438c83_b.jpg

4836383685_169200fcc4_b.jpg

4837012542_1fdbe3829c_b.jpg

4836406237_5e51a67d55_b.jpg

4836387145_b1d5a2e5b9_b.jpg

4836387911_28da0427e8_b.jpg

Attachments

• 4837012542_1fdbe3829c_b.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 73
    93 KB · Views: 78
    93 KB · Views: 69
Tripod shots came out much better, but they also seem like they were shot in a location with much more light too.

Also one quick suggestion of automotive, dont bother blurring the license plate (1,2 of second set). It looks bad, and there is no point to it whatsoever.

The first of the second set is good but be aware of what's in the background-get rid of the shopping carts. Also, people all over see tons of license plates--why blur them?

(1) woah a lot of stuff there, I have to look into all of that. Also just wondering should I change my apeture?

(2) what does this mean?

(1) Aperture is the F + number I posted. Read up on Aperture.

(2) It means metering. Has lots to do with how the camera meters for light and overall exposure.

Play around with it and you'll see its effects on your photos. :smile:

The second set looks remarkably better than the first set. How about shooting with ISO of 200 instead of 100. Also try using a shutter release cable to prevent blurriness.

Where was this shot? I am assuming in Queens.

Keith said it well--I'll add a couple more---tripod, tripod, tripod! Also, try bracketing your exposures.

whats that mean? "bracketing my exposures" :confused: sorry I'm new to this

The second set looks remarkably better than the first set. How about shooting with ISO of 200 instead of 100. Also try using a shutter release cable to prevent blurriness.

Where was this shot? I am assuming in Queens.

Thanks, it was shot in Maspeth, Queens. 66-26 Metropolitan Ave, It's on the top floor of the parking garage.

Much better! A few good suggestions here as well, especially about composition. Keep going.

Quite a difference between the first and second set of shots, right? Now you know the difference a steady platform can do.
Great car photography at night is not an easy task. Like everything in photography, a good exposure, lighting and composition are essential elements of a good shot. I honestly believe that you did very well with your second set although they could be improved even more with a better composition.
Pay good attention to the exposure. My tendency is to do this in manual mode with an aperture of f8 and begin with 4 seconds exposure as my base exposure. Then I depart from there according to what I see in the LCD.
Using the in camera meter requires care because all that darkness easily fools the meter. Sometimes a touch of flash is necessary but I will not discuss that technique here because it requires more experience from the photographer.
You did well with the second set.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Latest threads

Top Bottom