"Bad to the Bone"

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by DAVE VAN, Dec 14, 2005.

1. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    To the strains of George Thorogood and the Delaware Destroyers,

"Bad to the Bone"

53545927.digger11.

As some of you may know the "Theme Song" of Dennis Anderson and the Grave Digger is "Bad to the Bone".
    I thought the truck had a menacing look here with the red head lights. This shot was taken in the pouring rain so it was fairly gray and dismal to begin with so I just tried to emphasize that a bit :redface:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2005
  2. Great shot. This is one of my favorite of the monster trucks. While I was living in Virginia Beach, I would take trips down to the Outer Banks. Everytime I would drive down, I always passed by Gary Anderson's garage. He always has one of the trucks out in front of the shop. It is nice to see it again.

God Bless,
    David

3. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    David, thanks for the comments. here is another one I thought you might like;
    47316531.Gravedigger2.

4. Great action shot. I cannot wait to return to the states to see shows like this. Thank you so much for sharing.

David

5. What a tremendous amount of power that must generate to spin those huge tires. Nice shot.

6. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks Gordon.
    They are conservatively rated at 1500 hp but are actually closer to 2000 hp. On average they stand 10' tall are 12' wide and weigh 10,000 lbs. Each tire weighs 1000 lbs. They burn methanol and average 10-15 gallons for a 2 minute run. During a show it is not uncommon for them to reach 60 mph. Recently a new Monster Truck speed record of 89 mph was set by the War Wizard race team. Most of these trucks have dry blocks which means they do not have a radiator or use engine coolant. They do have an oil cooler. The trucks only run for a few minutes at a time and the blocks are all aluminum which helps to dissipate heat. Monster Trucks are now the number 2 most viewed motorsport in the world second only to NASCAR. (I'm sorry for rambling the little kid/mechanical engineer in me is coming out) :smile:

7. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Heres Gary Porter the driver of Grave Digger XII from this summer. Taken with a Nikon D2h and Nikkor 80-400 VR.

48754901.D2H_4912.

8. Henk

Henk Guest

WOW!!!! That is awesome, wish the MT's were more popular over here ;-(

merry cristmas to you all

9. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Great captures, Dave. That truck is so cool...I can only imagine what it must be like to drive it. Awesome power!

10. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Great pictures - them MTs sure are impressive!

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

11. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the comments. :smile:
    Here is another one to keep it going.........
    [​IMG]

12. red x oopsy