Bad tourist behavior leads to photography crackdown in Kyoto's Gion

Real Name
Carl
I just don't get the behavior that Jim's image shows--people have access to much better images of Ms Lisa in books, online and in stores. What good is a lousy, out of focus, poorly exposed and poorly framed image on your phone or digital camera?
Right! Some people will insist on keeping anything, because of "OH, Look! there is auntie Mabel... you can see most of her in the edge of the picture! Or similar. FARCEBOOK and the like have raised appreciation of the mundane and truly bad to extreme levels! Dunno if anyone remembers George Gobel, a "comedian" of the Dark Ages (Black& White TV) who started one of his programs with "GREETINGS advocates of mediocrity!" I think he took lessons from Don Rickles. Or, like Pogo said: "We has met the enemy, and he is us!"

I just don't get the behavior that Jim's image shows--people have access to much better images of Ms Lisa in books, online and in stores. What good is a lousy, out of focus, poorly exposed and poorly framed image on your phone or digital camera?
Isn't half the reason people travel is so they can brag about what they saw?

As Pogo said, we have met the enemy and them is us. We spend some time in the really crowded spots but I generally don't bring photo gear because I have already conceded it will just be frustrating to shoot. When I want to shoot but anticipate crowds I will use a 60/2.8 micro or a 70-700/2.8 VR just to get some subject isolation. The Uffizi was like the Louvre, and seeing it once was enough for me. In Bruges we walked so far out of the central tourist area that we wandered into a small Orthodox church. In most Italian churches I shoot up at the ceilings - so far no crowds in the rafters. Rise before dawn to shoot the Trevi Fountain. I also shoot reflections of landmarks in windows. Not necessarily the style for everyone, but I enjoy it.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1. St . Mark's, Venice

2. St. Peter's, Rome

3. Mardi Gras, New Orleans LA

4. Edinburgh, Scotland.

5. London, UK

6. Renfest, MD

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom