Bad Weekend "R/C shots"

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by critterracing, Sep 8, 2008.

1. man i tryed all sorts of setting to try to get these right. shot over 600 pictures to only get maybe 50 decent ones.

we race in the shade and and i just couldnt get the right exposure. i had to shoot at 1600 so they were light enough to even make out the cars.

almost all my shots were blurry. i was thinking my 70-200vr would help but still not sharp like i need them. granted the trucks are really fast and small and hard to follow but thats just a lame excuse lol.

maybe i need a tripod? with vr turned off? i didnt try a custom white balance though. think that might of helped me? no cropping just resized.

take alook lmk what ya think.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2008
  2. all red x's
    please try to post again

3. you image links must end in .jpg or .gif
    yours do not

4. sorry about that. all fixed.

5. D*A*V*E

D*A*V*E

Jun 3, 2008
    Southend, UK
    Great shots, they must have been hard to get as they are so small and fast !! Well done.

6. Interesting competition. I have not shoot this kind of racing but it seems to me you may want to consider getting down to the level of the action (in this case that means in the dirt!) and shooting in as it comes towards you. Check out Jason's moto pix for excellent examples of how racing is shoot. Also, you may want to strobe the action and see if that gives you better results.

7. I can't read your EXIF data, so I can't see what your exposure was. Just from the shade in pics, I'd say your shutter speed wasn't fast enough for stop action and that's why they're blurry.

8. strobe the action? fill me in, separate flash unit?

9. Yes, try setting up some off camera flashes if you can't get the shutter speed you want and fill in the shadows.

10. tried the flash but it was worse. shutter speed maxed out at 200. ????

11. Then you didn't set it up right.

What was your ISO and exposure for these pics?