Baddly coated lens+coated clear filter=improvement?

Actually I wanted to avoid starting the 3rd UV/clear filter discussion in the latest 5 discussions, but it clearly doesn't fit elsewhere so here we go:
I got a hint from a fellow photographer that makes me a bit unsure of what I know about lens coating. Usually I just assume that every filter increases flare and slightly decreases color and contrast. A coated one less so than a not coated one, but still.
Now, this guy got the idea, that it's possible to improve those issues when using a quality coated filter with older single coated lenses.
Since all my lenses are at least classical multicoated, I don't really have material to try...Can someone report personal experiences?
Not that it is knowledge I really "need", but it got me currious!

Actually I wanted to avoid starting the 3rd UV/clear filter discussion in the latest 5 discussions, but it clearly doesn't fit elsewhere so here we go:
I got a hint from a fellow photographer that makes me a bit unsure of what I know about lens coating. Usually I just assume that every filter increases flare and slightly decreases color and contrast. A coated one less so than a not coated one, but still.
Now, this guy got the idea, that it's possible to improve those issues when using a quality coated filter with older single coated lenses.
Since all my lenses are at least classical multicoated, I don't really have material to try...Can someone report personal experiences?
Not that it is knowledge I really "need", but it got me currious!
I have no practical experience with this but from a physics point of view, the light still has to go through the front element after passing through the filter so any reflections, light losses or whatever at that surface will still occur.

For a clear filter- only if using lenses (mostly older) that pass a lot of UV, the "offending spectrum" is being filtered by the "clear" (in visible) filter. I use a lot of older lenses, UV can be an issue. More of a problem with film cameras, which are sensitive to much deeper UV than Digital. So if "badly coated" means uncoated or single coated on older lenses passing UV, makes sense. I use multi-coated UV filters on my uncoated lenses, they pass UV. The multi-coated filter reflects less of the light coming off the uncoated optics.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom