Badlands Thunderstorm

While on the eastern side of Badlands National Park I noticed storms were brewing in the west. I decided to make my way back across the park instead of exiting to I-90 and taking the highway. I got some really nice views of some dramatic clouds and lightning. I even got lucky and was able to capture the lightning in some shots.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nice set of images. I love to watch approaching T-storms. Not to crazy about their arrival but the approach is cool.
Thanks, Dan. I love thunderstorms. This was the first time I have tried to photograph lightning, though. I got 6 different frames out of about 35 attempts with bolts showing.

WOW to photo #2!

Did you use a light-sensitive electronic trigger?
Thanks, Mike. No trigger. I noticed the thunder and lightning coming frequently. At some points there were 2-3 strikes at the same time. I just tried to count and tripped the shutter. I was shooting out the window on a sturdy, saddle-bag type bean bag. I missed some good ones. But, I was happy with the 6 frames I got. Scratch that. I was ecstatic with my captures. A guy from NJ shooting nearby came over to see how I was doing. That was about the time I got my first success. He had been unsuccessful.

Great stuff -- add me to the list of those who love picture No. 2. The Badlands are a bucket-list trip for me.
Thanks, Doc. Based on the times I have visited, you need to plan your trip. The best times, I think, are in the spring after they have had some rain. Some years are dry and it gets hot quick. The scenery isn't as pretty and the wildlife is scarce. The two best years for me met both those criteria, this past year and five years ago. Both times were early June with wet spring seasons. You can then travel a little farther west and visit the Black Hills - also worth it.

Very nice set! How about changing the blue color of the sky a bit and making it blue-grey?
Thanks. While processing I did try a gray sky for the fun of it. I didn't like it. I remember this ominous blue color during the storm. It was still relatively bright during the storm. Any way, I tried to keep the skies as I remember them.

Thanks. While processing I did try a gray sky for the fun of it. I didn't like it. I remember this ominous blue color during the storm. It was still relatively bright during the storm. Any way, I tried to keep the skies as I remember them.
Ah, sorry ..I thought you turned the color of the sky into blue in PP , I didn't know it was already blue during the storm.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom