Baffled by D700 & SB900 flash problem

OK,
so the last coupe of times I have used my combo it has been acting really weird.

It switches itself to A or man and then starts going nuts, firing off on its own in bursts.
I have cleaned up the terminals on both the camera and the hotshoe but to no avail. it just keeps on going nuts!

any ideas?

I have a deja vu. The first batch of D200 used to have a loose hotshoe with just enough play to make the SB-800 act just like you describe. Nikon replaced the camera hotshoes on warranty.

Could something similar be the issue?

OK,
so the last coupe of times I have used my combo it has been acting really weird.

It switches itself to A or man and then starts going nuts, firing off on its own in bursts.
I have cleaned up the terminals on both the camera and the hotshoe but to no avail. it just keeps on going nuts!

any ideas?

Mine did the same (flashed twice) thing when I used it on the cameras hot shoe for the first time, but I`m wondering if it`s because I left the flash system control in commander mode...:eek:

What`s yours set at...?

I`ll reset and test it ASAP. I`m using the SB900 too.

hmm, mine has he onboard flash set to commander all the time, but I havent had this problem in the 10 days I have been away shooting consantly (approx 4k frames in 9 parades)
pulled it out of the bag to do yet another parade and it did that intermittently.
did it the next day too, but only when connected via hotshoe- I wound up using the 900 in remote mode in my left hand- with varying results- quite annoying actually

Nope, the camera was just in my hand, no shutter or AF actuation, just walking along and getting bursts of light!

hmm, mine has he onboard flash set to commander all the time, but I havent had this problem in the 10 days I have been away shooting consantly (approx 4k frames in 9 parades)
pulled it out of the bag to do yet another parade and it did that intermittently.
did it the next day too, but only when connected via hotshoe- I wound up using the 900 in remote mode in my left hand- with varying results- quite annoying actually

Yes....That`s what I`m talking about. Mine was used on the hot shoe, while in commander mode. That`s when it acted the same way. I`m sure it`s related, but haven't tested it yet. Turn off commander mode and check it.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom