Baffling problem

NX2 has been working flawlessly on my Windows 7 workstation over the last two years. Through Monday evening that is. Then when I tried to bring up a photo in Photo Mechanic it said "NX2 is having a problem and will not run". The program then closes.

Closing down and reopening did not solve the problem. Running it in various Vista compatibility modes did not solve it either. I thought I had solved the problem by reinstalling the latest version....it seemed to be working again. However, I hadn't yet shut it down after installation; the next day on startup up I received the same error ... the program simply will not run.

I have Windows 7 and IE9 set up for auto-updates. The only explanation I can think of is a security upgrade that has done in NX2. But if that is the case, this forum should be filled by screaming Nikonians by now. And its not.

Anybody else experienced such a sudden failure with no apparent cause nor solution? Anybody found a solution to a similar problem?

I'd appreciate any insight you'd care to share.

Harry, first thing I would check is to look in the Event Handler:
Event Viewer in Administrative Tools.

You may find an error logged there which may point to a specific error.

Does this happen when you just open NX2 first, or only when you try to do an "Open With" from PM?

You might also try to open NX2 after booting into Safe Mode to see if it may be some other driver issue.

One thing I have found in the past is that video driver updates can sometimes really screw up NX2. It may be that some automatic driver update occurred. You might want to check the web site for your video board and download the latest driver to see if that is your issue. If there is an Event logged in the Event Viewer it may give you a hint to any driver issues.

Did any updates occur just prior to this problem happening? If so, you can view your updates and uninstall the last ones to see if one of those caused the problem.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
If my guess is right this is a bug that has been around for years. It is nothing to do with Windows or updates. Try the following.

Create a new user with admin privileges.
Login as the new user.
Install CNX2 when logged in as that user.
I bet you it now works.

The solution is to remove every little trace of the program and then reinstall it.

Basically it gets screwed up. Presumably you are running the latest version? And are running the 64bit version?

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem here is that we have all seen different things work at different times for what appears to be the same issue. Mike has probably run into more of these over the years than most, I have been lucky in that my issues have been resolved with updated video drivers.

Growl's idea is a good one, as that will eliminate the issue of a crapped out profile, I wish this was one that Microsoft would give a better solution to.

Let us know what you find, Harry.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
...as that will eliminate the issue of a crapped out profile, I wish this was one that Microsoft would give a better solution to.

I don't know what you think Microsoft could possibly do. If a program stores incorrect data in a profile, to put that right Microsoft would have to know what each program should put in the profile, which is impossible.

This can only be fixed by Nikon. They should examine a profile that their program has corrupted and work out what is going wrong. It is called debugging.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the feedback, and will check out solutions.

Just for the record, it appears no matter how I try to open the program...it stops seconds after appearing to start. The exact message is a Microsoft message that says: "Capture NX2 has stopped working." Then goes on to say it is looking for a solution.

One other thing that occurred to me: does Nikon "know" I am deleting and downloading in order to fix a problem, or do they assume I am trying to install extra copies? But if they were going to cripple it, I assume it would not have started initially after re-installation?

I have Windows 7 and IE9 set up for auto-updates. The only explanation I can think of is a security upgrade that has done in NX2.
I suggest that you either turn off auto-updates and check for updates manually on a monthly basis, or set it to download and notify you, but not install the updates without confirmation. I've seen way too many PC issues after an auto-update. If you take control of the process, you can ensure that a real backup or at least a restore point is created before the updates. Then you can roll back the recent changes if necessary.

But if that is the case, this forum should be filled by screaming Nikonians by now. And its not.
Yes and no. If everyone had the exact same setup including hardware and device drivers, then yes. Since PCs come in so many different varieties, and the current version of device drivers or MS updates installed is different, your combination has found an issue where others have not.

NX2 has been working flawlessly on my Windows 7 workstation over the last two years. Through Monday evening that is.
Do you have automatic restore points or backups set? If so, You could try restoring the system state to a point before the latest updates.

As Retief mentioned, look in the Event Viewer - Applications log and see if it has any info about CNX2 when it fails to launch. Also check your Security/Anti-virus logs for any new errors.

This type of problem seems to be common for some reason with NX2 and if my guess is correct (assuming that new updates have been downloaded and installed correctly) then the indications are that NX2 has lost its roadmap in the registry. Why this happens is anyones guess but I suspect that this is a Nikon issue rather than MS. Even using the Nikon clean up application will not remove all traces of the app - probably due to copy protection to prevent users just re installing the trial version over and over :biggrin:. So you are left with garbage in the registry which misdirects when you try to start the application/
If it was MS then many other apps should be affected and unable to start

I cannot say with any certainty that the following addresses the problem that you are experiencing but worth checking that the registry entries actually point to the correct location of your version of NX2.

You do not say if you are running Win7 as 32bit or 64bit but if you are 64bit then the application should be found in the "C:\Program Files\Nikon\Capture NX 2" (assuming C drive contains your apps). 32 bit versions would be found in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Nikon\Capture NX 2 folder

In case this is a registry related issue could you check the following:
https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showpost.php?p=3845691&postcount=35
If registry entry is suspect have a look at this post on how to change it:
https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showpost.php?p=3846209&postcount=42

Last edited by a moderator:
Once again, thanks folks. I haven't yet tackled the problem since I have been evolving a workaround workflow for my sports photos. I can tackle the registry....cleaned it successfully many times in XP, but I haven't really had to or wanted to get into the plumbing of Win 7, so it will be a challenge.

Harry, if this is a registry issue then it is not a simple matter of just cleaning using your tools of choice. Registry cleaners will not necessarily identify and remove or change the offending entries. If you can check as per my last post and report back then this if not the problem can be eliminated.

Tom I assume that 'as if a lot of unproficient users are trying to play Wizard of Oz' you are referring to those yet to arrive in this thread not those that have so far contributed? :confused:

Harry, if this is a registry issue then it is not a simple matter of just cleaning using your tools of choice. Registry cleaners will not necessarily identify and remove or change the offending entries. If you can check as per my last post and report back then this if not the problem can be eliminated.
Thanks, Tony. I've not cleaned the registry using tools; rather I've done it manually .... once years ago to be able to reinstall NX after the software downloads failed to take. But knowing how tedious and error-fraught that process is, is why I am reluctant to do it again (I'm about seven years older and have seven years less accurate eyesight, for one thing).

I've been building, trouble-shooting, and using PC machines every since IBM launched the XT and it replaced my Osborne CPM system. But it is a young man's game, and I now find the stress of dealing with the variables more annoying than the benefit of fixing things. One of these days I'm going to chuck the whole thing for Apple!

Tom, no problem I did not exactly take offence at your remarks, although the intent was not exactly clear and now that you have clarified I do to a degree see where you are coming from.

While I understand your comments about changing registry keys without understanding why they are there in the first place the symptoms that Harry described of the application not running is an indicator of a potential registry issue specifically relating to the registry pointing to other than the correct path. Re installing the software will not guarantee that the offending registry key will be removed/replaced or ignored and the fact that this has not helped is another indicator of potential registry errors.

As I have seen this issue with other NX2 users (probably 10 or so with at least 4 on this forum) and as Harry asked for anyone with experience of sudden failure and potential solutions this was put forward as just one area to check and one that is quite quick and easy to do. Why the changes get made or lost to the registry I just do not know but does seem more likely to occur if earlier versions 32bit have been used and then upgrades made to 64bit and then at some point something else happens to make NX2 fall over.

Of course there could be many other issues or combinations causing the problem as is often the case with complex systems, but in any case you have to make a start in troubleshooting somewhere and in the case of a seemingly well behaved system then the suggestions made thus far would seem to be a reasonable starting place.

Harry, always difficult to know how to pitch replies here as sometimes the user experience is just unknown and then you run the risk of either 'trying to teach granny to suck eggs' or come across as patronising. With your past experience of manual reg. editing the simple check I proposed will be just childs play, if you decide to look at that path

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Harry, in my reply above (message 3) I made a suggestion to help you track this down and also asked two questions which you have not yet answered - the version used and whether you are using the 32 or 64 bit version.

However do try the 'possible' solution mentioned by Mike 4th post?. It worked for me. If followed as instructed it leaves you with the ability to return to the present situation so: no damage done if it does not work.

Harry, in my reply above (message 3) I made a suggestion to help you track this down and also asked two questions which you have not yet answered - the version used and whether you are using the 32 or 64 bit version.

Sorry, Richard. I was using 2.4.1 when the problem occured, but I have now installed 2.4.3 and the problem has not gone away. I'm using the 64 bit version.

Now you may growl! :)

Harry

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Sorry, Richard. I was using 2.4.1 when the problem occured, but I have now installed 2.4.3 and the problem has not gone away. I'm using the 64 bit version.

Now you may growl! :)

Harry

Now try the experiment in the first part of message 3. I know it is only a workaround but it will show whether you can definitely overcome the problem by editing the registry. It will probably make it possible for you to use the program.

I agree with Growltiger - create a new user account with administrative rights, and try to run NX2 as that user. It worked for me.

I had a very similar problem in the past, right after a Windows update. I believe it's related to user profiles and permissions and if so, is probably not going to be fixed by Registry "cleaning". Once I established that I could run NX2 as another user, I found another suggestion (on this forum somewhere) to use Windows Task Scheduler to run NX2 with elevated permissions, and then create a desktop shortcut to run that task. That worked and let me once again run NX2 under my own user account. If necessary I think I could find the details of how to set that up.

Before finding that fix, I tried many things without success. It isn't a simple problem with an obvious solution.

Could someone explain why it is necessary to use Administrator and User Accounts in the first place? I am the only user of my PCs so I have never seen the need for it.

DG

Latest threads

Top Bottom