Bag Dilemma

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by kwork, Apr 17, 2007.

1. kwork

kwork

Jun 8, 2006
    NC
    I want/need to get a new bag. My Tamrac Adventure 6 isn't big enough to carry my D50 with 80-200AF-S attached and it is a huge hassle to mount/unmount the lens every time I want to use it.
    This lens will be my main lens for a while since baseball season has begun.
    I want a backpack style bag and would like to get one that will also accomodate my 17" HP Laptop along with allowing for some expansion of my lens collection.
    My current setup is
    D50
    50mm f/1.8
    18-55 kit lens
    80-200 AF-S
    12-24 Tokina
    SB-600
    Monopod
    Tripod
    My next major lens purchase will likely be either 28-80 or 17-55 to cover the mid range zoom.
    I would also like a bag that meets airline carry-on restrictions.

Any recommendations?
    I saw a Kata HB-207 in the FS section last week and it looked awesome.
    The Lowepro CompuTrekker Plus AW may be the next closest contender.
    Are these backpacks overkill for a day out hiking (laptop would not be included) or at the zoo? I'll keep the tamrac for a small pack so this won't be my only bag. Down the line, I may like to get a 300 f/4 or another body so I'd like to make allowances for as much as I can.

2. Kevin,
    When I'm going to be outside all day I love using my Kata R-103 (little brother to the 207) and find it to be a very comfortable bag to wear. I also got a set of Tamrac Backpack camera straps that I connect to the shoulder straps of the R-103 so I can just let the camera hang from them. In affect It couterbalances the backpack. I don't think there is a more comfortable backpack out there. I believe the 103 can hold up to a 15" laptop. Not sure about the 207. Also if you find you need more carrying capacity Kata has a waist-bag and a torso bag that connect to the backpacks. In that setup you’ll have enormous carrying capabilities.

Whatever you decide on be sure to try it on before buying it just to make it is comfortable for your build.

3. You have a couple of great options listed above........I would also include the ThinkTank Backpacks as possible options in your search.......... I currently have the Airport Addicted and the Airport Acceleration. I use the Acceleration for day trips and really like it.

Good luck on your search.

Ted

4. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    It sounds like we're in similar boats. I'd like something to carry my D200 with 70-200VR, 18-200VR, 28-70, 12-24 & MacBook Pro, and assorted accessories.

I'm probably going to end up with either a Kata or Crumpler. I know that Crumpler's bags in this size claim to meet carry-on restrictions, and I presume that a Kata in the same class would also fit.

A local photo shop has a very large Kata bag and I like the look & fit of it. I'm also happy with my Crumpler shoulder bag. Still, I'd like to see some good photos of these bags inside & out before I order one.

LowePro and Tamrac are at the bottom of my list. They seem to cheap-out on materials in some places.

5. Bill,
    The Kata R-103 looks exactly the as the R-102 except it also has room for a laptop. You can find a decent review of it here:

http://www.shuttertalk.com/articles/katar102

That site also has reviews of both of the Kata Torso packs and images with it attached to the back pack.

http://www.shuttertalk.com/articles/katat214

He also has a review of the Crumpler Sinking Barge backpack if you are considering it.

This for sale thread for the Kata 207 (sold) has some great photos of it.

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=108732&highlight=Kata

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  6. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    I have the Kata R-103, D200 with 70-200 attached, 18-70, SB600, 50 1.8, 105 micro, MacBook Pro and accessories. I can post pictures if that would help.

7. kwork

kwork

Jun 8, 2006
    NC
    Pics are always appreciated.
    I guess my big hangup is being abole to fit that laptop (17") which I doubt will fit in the 103

8. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    My 15" barely fits. I'd have to guess that the 17" will not fit.

9. Checking their website the only kata backpacks that can hold a 17 laptop and your gear are the HB207 and the BP502.