Bag for Concert Photography?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Alan.Tran, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Alan.Tran

Alan.Tran

Jun 5, 2008
    California
    I've been doing a lot of live concert photography recently and am looking for a solution to carrying my equipment.

When I'm shooting the show I will always have my D300 and a lens mounted at all times but I need a lightweight, non-bulky and non-obtrusive way of carrying a few lenses.

17-55 2.8
    70-200 2.8
    50 1.8
    85 1.8

So technically 3 lenses, since one will be mounted with the camera.

I'd be open to any type of "bag" either sling, backpack, harness, etc. but it needs to be pretty light since I need to do a lot of moving.

Thanks in advance

2. I have a Crumpler 6 million dollar home and like it very much. it would fit everything that you list below and doesn't scream camera bag. One negative about it is that the velcro closure for the front flap is very large and thus it's hard to open the bag without making noise. So I wouldn't try using this bag for chamber music, for example, but in a loud venue it won't matter.

I know a lot of people like the Urban Disguise series by Think Tank Photo for their unobtrusiveness and design, though I have not seen one myself in the flesh.

3. Alan.Tran

Alan.Tran

Jun 5, 2008
    California
    Anyone have any experience with the Boda bags?

4. Micky

Micky

Feb 29, 2008
    Vermont
    Domke...

I use a Domke F2 in that situation. I have a custom insert that only holds 2 lenses, so that I can stick a larger lens on the camera and still stuff it into the bag.

5. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    You may also consider one of those ThinkTank belt/pouch systems. I've seen a few AP photographers use that for concerts. They are obviously cameras and lenses, but they hold exactly what you need and make everything at the ready when you need it. You could also consider a combination of ThinkTank and shoulder back. The belt/pouch system could hold camera with mounted lens, and the shoulder bag could hold accessories and flashes.

For concert photography, I also recommend getting one of those neck lanyards for holding IDs. You know the ones I'm talking about. It looks like a shoestring around your neck with a clear plastic sleeve at the bottom. That is excellent for holding your photo pass so security and management can clearly see them, and so they don't get destroyed or stolen by crazed fans. Check out http://www.lanyardsupply.com/.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2008
  6. gaopa

gaopa

Jun 30, 2006
    NE Georgia
    Another vote for the Domke F2. The F2 holds a lot and being soft, it fits my side/hip very well when I am shooting. As a freelance photojournalist I do a lot of shooting on the go and having my bag at my side is essential, but it must fit comfortably. Cheers, Bill P.

7. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Take a look at Timbuk2 messenger bags or Chrome bags. These aren't camera bags, but if you purchase some inserts from Domke or Crumpler, I think one of these bags will work for you. I just recently purchase a messenger style bag from Jandd (Andrew Hurricane Messenger bag). All I need to do is get some inserts to fit my D300 with the 70-200mm VR lens. From the looks of this bag, I can squeeze my tripod or monopod as well, but the leg(s) will stick out a little.

8. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    When I shoot gigs ( or PJ for that matter ) I use my Lowepro Stealth Reporter D300 AW. Now granted I only bring 2 cameras and 2 lenses ( D2H, D50, 17-55 and 80-200 ) so I don't have the exact configuration you have but since you only bring one camera it might suite you well.

9. fivegrand

fivegrand Guest

A sling like Tamrac's Velocity series might be worth checking into. I have the biggest one (Velocity 9) and really like it for a similar gear load.

10. For an inexpensive solution I use one of these.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s..._80001_400008012_400000000_400008000_400-8-12

Can't beat 30 bones. Works well for me for when I want to switch from wide angle to 70-200 closeup of an artist. You can wear it reversed. the fanny pack portion makes for easy access and the sholder harness helps carry the weight. Not as pretty as some of the options like the Think Tank Change Up http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_ChngUp.php but $100 cheaper

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.