Bag Ideas for D3/D300 + 300 2.8?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by keith5523, Aug 27, 2008.

1. I'd like to know what you guys use to haul around the 300 2.8 with a camera body attached. I'm just using the supplied OEM nylon case from Nikon and it's certainly not the easiest thing to maneuver in the field. I usually carry another body with me to an athletic event with at least one other lens and carry those in a Lowepro backpack, so I don't mind having to handhold another bag; I'd just like it to be big enough to fit both the lens and the camera body. Thanks for your ideas.

2. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    I use the glass taxi. Body mounted on lens is OK but you can not have a tele converter on as well.

3. +1 for ThinkTank's Glass Taxi.

4. Thanks for your suggestions Mark and Ron. I've been looking at one of their larger backpacks as well, the airport antidote, for carrying LOTS of gear at the same time. I'll check out the Glass Taxi.

5. I have the Airport Antidote as well :redface: and I love it. It will take a 300VR mounted on camera as well.

6. Ron, can I carry the 300VR attached, 70-200 2.8, and another D3/D300 body + flash and a couple of smaller zooms? Or am I starting to need a larger bag to protect all of that. I can fit most of it in the Lowepro backpacks that I currently have....just doesn't feel too safe and secure when I'm done. Thanks again.

7. Oxide Blu

Oxide Blu Guest

FYI - on my last two flights the agent at the airline check-in weighed my carry-on bag with the camera stuff in it. It is all about weight, fuel costs, charging fees for overweight baggage, etc.

Fwiw, my Portercase with 1 DX2 + 1 film SLR + lenses was OVERWEIGHT for carry-on. Max weight for carry-on bag: 10kg (22lbs). They wanted me to check the case and pay an extra baggage fee ($105). After looking in the case they accepted the suggestion that it was not an ideal candidate to be 'checked' and I was allowed to carry it on without add'l costs.

Just to let you know because you mention carrying "lots of gear". If you have that much "lots of gear" you may want to consider cases that allow you to check-in some of the photo toys, and only carry on your camera bodies, whatever.

8. Here's a couple of photos I took awhile back - neither has your exact config, but in one you can see a 200/2 - your 300VR on-camera will fit in the center like that, in the other you can see a 300/4 along the side. The 300/4 is about the same size as a 70-200, and I'm pretty sure I've packed that case with a 70-200 and the 300VR on-camera. Not sure how much of the other stuff you'd get in there - the flash and a couple more lenses would go, but not sure about the second body. Might check out the packed photos on the ThinkTank site if you haven't seen them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. LOL My definition of "lots of gear" means whatever I can fit in the overhead bin or under the seats of most airlines, including the regional jets. In reality, I don't own "lots of gear" by most photogs standards.

But you sure bring up a good point about the weight, as well as the airlines position on maximizing profit.

10. Thanks for posting the photos Ron. That bag will work just fine. As Oxide Blu pointed out, the weight is going to come into play probably pretty quickly...as well as my ability to tote all of that. It looks like the depth of the ThinkTank is much more receptive to the size of the camera bodies than the Lowepro I'm now using, and will provide a better fit and better protection. Thanks again.