Bag recommendations

Hey everyone! I am in desperate need of a new bag. Particularly a bag that does not fit all my equipment, but one that meets the needs for the particular day. I do some second wedding shooter work and would love a messenger type shoulder bag that is comfortable enough for a 4-5hr wedding. The gear I take with me currently is the following:

D600
70-200
24-85
50mm
55mm micro
Flash
Extra SD cards
Extra batteries (for camera and flash)
Cleaning kit (its small)

Would like to take along my rocket blower as well if I could.

Was looking at the Crumpler series and they look to be well made. Particularly the Million Dollar Homes (7 or 8).

Wanted others thoughts on Crumplers or others that I really do not know of.

Appreciate any help!

I have the 5MDH, and the 7MDH. Sold my 6MDH to a friend who liked my bags.

The 7MDH will carry everything that you have listed above. The 6MDH is just a little too shallow for the 70-200mm to be mounted to the D600 and put in the bag.
The 8MDH is really for carrying a laptop with you also, which you do not have listed above.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have the 5MDH, and the 7MDH. Sold my 6MDH to a friend who liked my bags.

The 7MDH will carry everything that you have listed above. The 6MDH is just a little too shallow for the 70-200mm to be mounted to the D600 and put in the bag.
The 8MDH is really for carrying a laptop with you also, which you do not have listed above.
Thanks David for the input! Would be nice to carry my laptop, sometimes, though not all the time. Maybe I can look into the 7 and 8 to see the differences.

Thanks again!

Thanks David for the input! Would be nice to carry my laptop, sometimes, though not all the time. Maybe I can look into the 7 and 8 to see the differences.

Thanks again!
Watch eBay for them. Buying them new is way too expensive. I got all three of mine really cheap, and they were in brand new condition.

... would love a messenger type shoulder bag that is comfortable enough for a 4-5hr wedding. The gear I take with me currently is the following:

D600
70-200
24-85
50mm
55mm micro
Flash
Extra SD cards
Extra batteries (for camera and flash)
Cleaning kit (its small)
Imo, you'll never find a shoulder bag to hold all of that gear and still be comfortable for 4 hours. But you don't need to put the camera in the bag if you're working, so you just need a "swap bag" to holds the 3 lenses you're not using at the moment and a flash. I use the stylish and affordable Event Messenger 150.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

When I shoot an event, I bring all of my gear in a backpack (camera, backup camera, 5 lenses, 2 flashes). During the event, I hang the camera around my neck, and the swap bag (loaded with 2 lenses, flash, and other bits) over my shoulder, leaving the backup camera, backup flash, and extra lenses in the backpack. I leave the backpack behind the dj's stand for safekeeping.

I have a 7MDH and I don't think I could carry it filled with gear for 4-5 hours. It is heavy! I actually use it primarily to store my gear. Have you looked at some of the lens changer bags? I would think at a wedding you would have your camera out all the time and would only need a bag to carry various lenses. That may be a lot more comfortable. Also much lower profile as you navigate crowds of people.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Check out the ThinkTank shoulder bags. They have quite a selection to pick from.
Thanks, I will look into them. The City Walker as recommended by another poster is pretty nice!

Watch eBay for them. Buying them new is way too expensive. I got all three of mine really cheap, and they were in brand new condition.
Thanks David, I will do that!

I've been a fan of the Domke F-2, but prefer the Think Tank City Walker 10. It holds my D7000 with 16-85, 70-300, 10-24, plus a small lens and misc.

Like the Domke, it's not too heavily padded nor too bulky, but it's narrower and taller, which I think fits modern equipment better.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/citywalker-10-black.aspx
I looked at that City Walker 10 and really like it! I may look to get one of those.

Imo, you'll never find a shoulder bag to hold all of that gear and still be comfortable for 4 hours. But you don't need to put the camera in the bag if you're working, so you just need a "swap bag" to holds the 3 lenses you're not using at the moment and a flash. I use the stylish and affordable Event Messenger 150.

http://static.bhphoto.com/images/images200x200/893442.jpg

When I shoot an event, I bring all of my gear in a backpack (camera, backup camera, 5 lenses, 2 flashes). During the event, I hang the camera around my neck, and the swap bag (loaded with 2 lenses, flash, and other bits) over my shoulder, leaving the backup camera, backup flash, and extra lenses in the backpack. I leave the backpack behind the dj's stand for safekeeping.
In reality, I am looking for a bag that is around my shoulder that holds three lenses and some accessories. Usually I am carrying my D600 w/ 70-200 and flash. So the bag is rather light, but I like to keep it on me so I do not forget it laying down somewhere. During a wedding I get caught up in the moment and will leave stuff.

I have a 7MDH and I don't think I could carry it filled with gear for 4-5 hours. It is heavy! I actually use it primarily to store my gear. Have you looked at some of the lens changer bags? I would think at a wedding you would have your camera out all the time and would only need a bag to carry various lenses. That may be a lot more comfortable. Also much lower profile as you navigate crowds of people.
As I stated above, all my gear I stated is not in the bag the whole time. I carry my camera, 70-200, and flash and the rest is just to swap out with other lenses, etc.

I love my Think Tank Retrospective 20. Deep enough for the 70-200 on the camera with the hood reversed. I opted for the green and from a distance it looks like something from the Army surplus store. Another nice touch is the velcro silencers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my Think Tank Retrospective 20. Deep enough for the 70-200 on the camera with the hood reversed. I opted for the green and from a distance it looks like something from the Army surplus store. Another nice touch is the velcro silencers.
+1 This is what I use when I take my 70-200 out and about. Should fit most of what you want to carry and if the body isnt in the bag its quite comfortable.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom