Bag Replacement for Mini Trekker

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by James1Usa, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Need a replacement backpack for an aging Minitrekker. Mine is so old that is isn't even made in China. :eek: It has been a great bag, but looking for improvement in 3 areas; Wider and heavier shoulder straps, as normally I don't wear the tiny strap serving as a hip belt, a protected pocket to occasionally carry a 15" Apple laptop, and a slightly deeper (6") camera compartment so the 105 f2.8VR and 17-55 f2.8DX can stand up, rather that store on their sides. I can now carry 1 or 2 bodies (D200 and D100IR) and 4 to 6 lenses, including the 70-200 f2.8VR, plus SB800, 24" fold up reflector, filters and flash bracket in the voluminous front pocket.

So far what I have seen is way bigger, Lowe Phototrekker, Naturetrekker etc. and weighs twice as much empty, or the right size but with very limited front pockets, i.e. Tamarac Expedition 5, Vertex 100AW. The Vertex 200AW might work, but I can't find one to inspect. I live about 2-1/2 hours from any good camera stores and the ones I visited only had what is mentioned above, so I am looking to the Cafe Members for suggestions.

Thanks,

James

2. sreeves31

sreeves31

Jun 25, 2007
    Mason, OH
    I also have a mini-trekker that I like very much but when I replace it I am going to get one of the bags from ThinkTank Photo. Excellent straps, low-key external appearance and from what I have heard really top-notch construction.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com

3. Brent M

Brent M

Aug 13, 2006
    I've got the Airport Antidote, and it is a fantastic bag.

4. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    I'll give another recommendation for the Airport Antidote, It is really a great backpack.

5. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but can you Airport Antidote owners post any photos of your pack, with contents. I can't decide if I want the Antidote or Acceleration.

6. Tell us the result of your research. I love the versality of my mini trekker but found that on warm summer days I get a wet back instantly. So I'm also open for suggestions for backpacks which allow more air to reach my back. :smile:

7. Brent M

Brent M

Aug 13, 2006
    Alright, here's mine:

DSCF0461.

Left column top to bottom:

Rocket blower (not pictured)
    Nikon 35-70 f/2.8
    Sigma 10-20
    18-70
    50 f/1.8

Middle column top to bottom:

Misc (IR remote, spirit level, extra battery, etc)
    small canon video camera,
    105 f/2.8 VR
    D70s + L bracket with Sigma 30 f/1.4 mounted

Right column:

Empty space that I use for a point and shoot, or my BH-40 ballhead
    77 mm filters
    70-300 VR
    SB-800/extra set of flash batteries, light stand, better bounce card
    CF flash reader.

The clear pockets that are partially visible contain memory cards, a couple of tools in the top one, and my 67 mm filters in the other.

That's a Gitzo 1340 that's strapped to the side. My 1228 fits rather well in that spot as well, sans the tripod cup that you can see towards the top of the pic.

Also my 17" laptop fits in the provided laptop case that then slides into the expandable pocket at the back of the pack.

Anyway, I hope that helps.

8. Thanks Brent, it helps seeing the photo.